PHRASAL VERBS WITH ‘CALL’

I was always interested in English phrasal verbs.
They were for me the most difficult, but also the most majestic parts of the English learning.
For example the phrasal verbs with ‘call’.
Do you know what the difference is between ‘call in’, ‘call on’ and ‘call for’?
Do you know the meanings of ‘call back’ and ‘call up’?
What does it mean: ‘call after’ ot ‘call dowm’?
If not, you can listen to it in my interview with Richard from the UK.
This is the link:

2 Likes

What a great interview. phrasal verbs are used all I the time in English. Each time I hear. a new phrasal verbs I learn something new. It is great when someone can explain the meaning and gave al definition.

1 Like

“I called to mind that when he called me up, he called me all sorts of names.”
I wonder if this sentence makes sense. I don’t know when I can call the phrasal verb my own.
Thank you for calling my attention to phrasal verbs. Your thread brought me into posting this message, which is unlikely to bring down the house.

岩田一男『英熟語記憶術』(ちくま文庫、2015年、初版は1969年)を参照しました。

I think your sentence makes a sense. With different words: I remembered when he rang me up, he named me with different names.

1 Like

Yutaka: your sentence makes sense to me. To call someone names means to insult them, in particular, to find insulting ways to describe them (‘you are a liar, a cheat and a thief’, etc.). Your sentence means “I remembered that when he telephoned me, he described me in all sorts of unflattering ways.” I recommend that you don’t give out your telephone number to such people in future …

1 Like

It might be worth adding a couple of points to this interview: (1) I mentioned to ‘call for the doctor’ and to ‘call for my friend.’ In the first case, I had in mind telephoning the doctor and asking for his services. In the second, I had in mind going to my friend’s house so that we could go on together to some other place, such as the cinema. Both are perfectly good uses of ‘call for’, though as you can see, they are different from each other (in one I am standing holding my telephone, in the other I am travelling to my friend’s house). (2) I forgot to say that ‘call out’ can also (a) simply mean to call out loud, for example in order to attract attention (‘I looked round when he called out my name’), (b) to expose someone, often in a negative way, e.g. for doing something wrong or badly. These days, in both these cases, we often simply say ‘call’ rather than ‘call out’. ‘He called my name’. ‘It was plain that he was cheating and I called him on it.’

1 Like

To call out for help - (to call for help); to cry out for help - (to cry for help).

Reading your comment I have wondered about “call out” vs “cry out”. Certainly there is a slight difference in meaning for a native speaker, isn’t it? Your examples are helpful ('cause they express what you have in mind as a native speaker)…I like it that way.

Thank you. The idea of crying out for help puts me in mind of someone suffering an emergency in a public place and shouting ‘Help!’ We would not, for example, say ‘I cried out for help’ if what we had done was telephone the doctor - there we would say that we had called the doctor out. There is something urgent, immediate and literal about crying out for help.

1 Like

I don’t know how far I have gone in learning English.
I wonder if I can go far before going to a better world
Do these sentences make sense? I feel that using phrasal verbs is risky for nonnative speakers.

I’m not an English native speaker, but I have been learning and teaching English for many yeears. I like your English and your posts in the forum, Yutaka.
What about phrasal verbs, you needn’t know all phrasal verbs but only the most popular.
At first, we have to understand the most popular phrasal verbs by reading and later by speaking with native speakers and only after that we can use them as well.
I think your sentences make sense, however, - just enjoy your learning because learning is a way, not a goal, and an interesting way of our life indeed.

Yutaka, you shouldn’t worry about using phrasal verbs. As with all aspects of language learning, reading regularly will help you see how native speakers use them, and taking the risk of using them in your own speech and writing will give you confidence and help you learn from your mistakes. In English we say, ‘You can’t steer a car if it’s not moving.’ You can say ‘I don’t know how far I have gone in learning English,’ although a lot of English people would most likely say ‘got’ instead of ‘gone’. I admit that I don’t understand your second sentence. Are you still talking about language learning? The risk with mention of ‘a better world’ is that people think you are referring to dying - ‘he has gone to a better world’ is a euphemism for ‘he has died’.

Thank you for your comment.
I wonder if I can be successful in learning English, before I die.
This was what I wanted to mean.

Ah! I am sorry that I did not understand. I was not expecting a comment about dying, and so did not grasp your meaning … the interaction of expectation and understanding is an interesting subject in itself … Very good.Yes. It would have been slightly clearer if you had said ‘get far’ rather than ‘go far’. ‘Go’ and ‘going’ seemed likely to be referring to the same thing, which also slightly confused me.