Perhaps we should not use the obscene language in thread titles

There is a thread about swearing, and obscene Russian word used at the title of this thread. Being native, I don’t like to see this word at “Most recent posts” bar at all. My coworkers (I am the only lady at our room) try to avoid such words when I can here them.

Please, don’t use such words at a forum thread titles.

“here” should be “hear” of course :)))

I agree.

I swear all the time in English. But I don’t swear outside of situations where I know where it’s ok. When with a friend, we swear, neither of us cares. With my grandmother, I don’t swear. I think it’s best to not assume the other person is ok with swearing.

I fully agree that we should not swear on this Forum. This is also an example of why I always advise avoiding swear words in languages that we are learning. We simply lack the sense of when to use them.

I agree Steve. Knowing how intense a particular word is, can be difficult.

The crudest thing I’ve learnt in Dutch is:

De hond heeft op de stoep gepoept.

The dog has pooped on the pavement.

(My friend taught me the word stoep with this sentence…Dutch is too funny!)

Rasana,

I had not noticed the thread in question or at least the full meaning of the word. I have deleted the thread. We should avoid swear words as much as possible, and certainly in the title of a thread, regardless of the language.

I apologize Rasana, I was not aware that the word itself was a swear word. The Google Translate definiton was not clear on this matter.

I personally have no knowledge of Russian swear words, and I only posted the website as a novelty to those who were interested, and the title just as I found it. I will not make that mistake again.

I apologize additionally to any other Russian speakers who were offended at the site of that word.

Обратимся к авторитетам. На сайте “Эхо Москвы” есть регулярная передача, которая называется “Полный Альбац”. Альбац – это фамилия автора. Но почему “полный”? В русской ненормативной лексике существует широко распространенное выражение “полный ххх”. Я бы не постеснялся написать полностью, но тогда оно будет сразу удалено. Это выражение означает “конец”, “катастрофа”, “дальше ехать некуда”. Примерно в 1989-1991 годах такие выражения не стеснялись использовать многие газеты. Но потом они сразу исчезли. Тогда журналисты тут же придумали для него эвфемизм: “полный абзац”, фонетически близкое, но буквально означающее full pharagraph. То есть, я хочу сказать, что “полный Альбац” означает “полный ххх”, а чтобы у слушателей не было никаких сомнений, второе слово произносится по всем правилам, растягивая первый слог, и делая подчеркнутое ударение на второй. И это все в заголовке постоянной передачи! Похоже, мадам и не собирается менять название. Кстати я ее совсем не осуждаю.

Альбац созвучно с абзац, прежде всего. Да, это всё эвфемизмы. Но тем не менее. И слава Богу, что я работаю не с Вами, а со своими сослуживцами.

Это выражение означает “конец”, “катастрофа”, “дальше ехать некуда”
Здесь речь не о значении, а о стилистической окраске. В значении ничего плохого, да. Но на форуме общаются в конце концов не тинейджеры и не грузчики…

There are all kinds of euphemisms for swear words in use in different languages. Aw shucks, go to heck, friggin’, gol’darned, etc. There are cases where originally vulgar words have become widely accepted in common usage (con in French for example).

However, only a native speaker is in a position to judge these things. Learners are best to leave them alone.

I leave them alone but they are used everywhere except of course Cakypa’s office. I won’t use them here, I promise. Why are linguists so shy?

Everywhere?!!
Nothing of the kind.

Why are linguists so shy?
It is not shyness. It is politeness. In most of situations there is no necessity to use these words. Inserting f-words everywhere at your speech (like in some Hollywood movies) is not polite at all.

No wonder for me that this issue relates to Russian language.
Is this theme sharp for the other languages as well?

Like Rasana says, it’s not shyness. A matter of choice, more likely. Whereas it’s quite appropriate in Ireland to sprinkle sentences with some slight swearwords, in other parts of the UK it isn’t so much done. My children grew up in Inner London and there was a huge amount of effing and blinding going on, but it was never much to their taste. (Although a couple of years back my son wrote a comedy set in Regency London and it was amazing what kind of language he unearthed in his research and managed to get into the programme). I still can’t easily use a certain German word which, over the last three decades or so, has made its way into everyday language in Germany, its meaning slightly changed and watered down. To me it still is offensive (and I do know it is my mind’s own interpretation that’s producing the feeling- Sigmund, where’s your couch?!)

“I do know it is my mind’s own interpretation that’s producing the feeling- Sigmund, where’s your couch?!”
This phrase is great!

@victor2: “Why are linguists so shy?”

Some of our members are minors, and, while I’m not suggesting we should all write like primary teachers, perhaps the kind of words that would be edited out of a PG film could be left out of thread titles.