Patterns, a new way for LingQ members to help each other

1. Generating patterns at google translate.

This is not a new idea, but starting a new language, Romanian, has made it more relevant. When we start in a language, the structure or patterns of the language sometimes are similar to our own, and sometimes quite different. In order to become familiar with the new language we need to get a sense of the patterns of the language. I like to hear these, and read them. They need not be in meaningful content, although I also need to read and listen to meaningful content. That is a separate issue.

However to get a sense of the new language, it is useful to focus on the patterns.

I started typing various patterns in English and posting them to google translate. Here is what I got.

Greetings

What is your name.
My name is Steven.
Nice to meet you.
How are you?
I am fine thank you.
How are you sir?
How are you madam?

Care este numele tău.
Numele meu este Steven.
Îmi pare bine.
Ce mai faci?
Sunt bine multumesc.
Ce mai faci domnule?
Ce mai faci doamnă?

People

I am a man.
She is a girl.
He is a boy.
She is a woman.
They are friends.
Who are you?

Sunt un om.
Ea este o fată.
El este un băiat.
Ea este o femeie.
Ei sunt prieteni.
Cine ești tu?

Where

Where is the store?
The store is over there.
The house is here.
The house is on the street.
Where is the street?
The street is on the hill.

Unde este magazinul?
Magazinul este acolo.
Casa este aici.
Casa se afla pe strada.
Unde este strada?
Strada este pe deal.

I like to eat.
Would you like to eat?
Yes, I would like to eat lunch.
I like to eat fruit.
I don’t like to eat vegetables.
What do you like to eat?

Îmi place să mănânc.
Vrei să mănânci?
Da, mi-ar place să mănânc masa de prânz.
Îmi place să mănânc fructe.
Nu-mi place să mănânce legume.
Ce îți place să mănânci?

Should

We should be careful.
The children should not play in the street.
What should we do?
He should not work so hard.
I should study harder.
What should I do now?

Trebuie să fim atenți.
Copiii nu ar trebui să joace în stradă.
Ce ar trebui să facem?
El nu ar trebui să lucreze atât de greu.
Am ar trebui să studieze mai greu.
Ce ar trebui să fac acum?

Must

You have to come home now.
He mustn’t worry so much.
I have to read these book for the course.
They must be tired.
Must you always talk so loud?
You have to keep quiet.

Trebuie să vii acasă acum.
El nu trebuie să vă faceți griji atât de mult.
Am să citesc aceste cărți pentru curs.
Acestea trebuie să fie obosit.
Trebuie să vorbești mereu așa de tare?
Trebuie să tacă.

Purpose

Why do you study so hard?
Because I want to learn how speak Romanian.
He works in order to support his family.
I am going to the store to buy food.
Why are you angry?
Because you are late.

De ce ai studia atât de greu?
Pentru că vreau să învețe cum vorbesc românește.
El lucrează în scopul de a sprijini familia lui.
Mă duc la magazin pentru a cumpăra alimente.
De ce te-ai mâniat?
Pentru că ai întârziat.

I have no idea how accurate these translated patterns are. Nevertheless I find these translations helpful. I intend to create more. Each pattern collection, or snippet, consists of 6 short sentences.

There are many more possible categories of patterns, including but not limited to the following.

If

Although

While

Even though

After

It seems

Since (given that)

Since (since the last time)

But

Which, in which etc.

Tenses

Adjectives

adverbs

Pronouns

When

By, what, from to, etc,

There are lots more.

I have a book at home with 53 patterns for Russian.

1 Like
  1. Native speakers correct the google translated texts, (or create new patterns sentences), and then record them. The more the better.

There can be many pattern snippets for each category, with say 6 short sentences. Ideally they have translation but that is not necessary.

The learner pays points to the native speaker and then places them in the Library, with the translation. If the learner pays for them the learner owns them in the library (collects points). Or the native speaker creates them and owns them.

Since these are short, they can easily be downloaded and listened to, and even shuffled.

We should be constantly adding patterns to the library. They are a good introduction to a language and good way to review.

I would love to see some pattern snippets in the Romanian library.

Thanks for posting about this topic, Steve. It has given me some inspiration to continue my pattern collection in Italian.
I think you should contact Romanian LingQ members individually for better results, since most of them are inactive and may not read your forum posts.
You have probably seen that one of our members has uploaded his first Romanian lesson. Hopefully more will follow!
To ensure a constant and easier creation of patterns, it would be nice to have a Rhinospike-like template where learners submit a piece of writing like yours, the tutor translates/records it and gets points for this. I know this is already doable, but it’s not always so clear how to do it (unless one has just read your explanations above!).

Steve, I have just submitted a short self-introduction to our new Romanian tutor and asked him if he wants to record it so that I can share it.

I think mikebond’s idea is a great one. I have long thought that the main thing missing here is some systematic way to have texts recorded. I can imagine one way would be for there to be a system similar to the text correction system, where native speakers put themselves forward as recorders and people submit texts to them and pay points based on the number of words in the text. I looked at a lot of the recordings at Rhinospike and thought they were of very low quality.

Colin, you are right: the quality of Rhinospike recordings is not always good. One of my English texts was unshared because of this, and I needed to get another recording before sharing it again.

@colin and mike - We are working on a way to enable this type of interaction. Please be patient a little longer.

1 Like

Great news, Mark! I promise I’ll be patient! :slight_smile:

Sounds exiting. In the meantime, I will behave myself. Promise.

Hi all,

For the few who learn Dutch, I have added the first pattern lessons suggested by Steve to the library:

Enjoy,

Silvia

1 Like

Hi Silvia
I decided to have a break in my efforts to learn Dutch (I’m trying to refresh my forgotten German) but I promise I’ll be back. Thanks for your new lessons.

Fernanda

Silvia, thanks a lot. I just did your first patterns. Your sound is clear. When the translation is provided it is really easy to get into a new language. I will be making more patterns for English and will record them. I am also going to arrange for translations and recordings in Romanian.

Hello Fernanda,
Good luck with German! I have the same problems of time, and am concentrating on Italian and not on Portuguese! I am sure to get back to Portuguese in future!
Steve, if you have the patterns in English, just let me know, so I can co them in Dutch. I agree that it is a first easy way of listening to some texts.
Silvia

I have now created two courses of patterns for English. One is at the beginner 1 level, and one at the beginner 2 or even a little higher level.

I see this as a LingQ community project. BTW I am working on getting the Romanian translations and the best possible recording of these up in a few days for myself.

The quality of the recording, especially for beginners, is very important.

Actions:

1. Please tell me what to change or improve and point out any mistakes.
  2. If you are an English learner, please tell me which patterns cause you trouble.
  3. Sylvia or others, we need to find one common icon for these collections in the different languages. Any suggestions.
  4. If other people can translate these patterns into their native language please do so. The same person need not translate and record although that is easiest. They key is to get high quality recordings for beginners.
  5. If I receive translations I can start adding them into the lessons for native speakers of those languages. Other providers can eventually do the same for their lessons or we can share this work.

Let me know what you think.

Steve, I will try to look at your patterns soon and see if I can use them to make Italian ones.
Lately, I was thinking about creating patterns at different levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced, for the needs of learners at different levels (since the Italian grammar is very rich and complex). However, I’m not sure how to subdivide them, yet. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hi Steve,

In the ‘Purpose’ lesson, you have written ‘Because I want to learn how speak Romanian’. You have spoken it correctly, just missed a ‘to’ in the text.

Colin with the fancy long name, you got issues? I want speak Romanian, you donna want speak Romanian, is you problem!

Thanks I fixed it.

mikebond,

It is very handy to have translations for these patterns, especially for beginners. However, not all patterns in English have a parallel pattern in other languages, and conversely there will be important patterns in Italian or other languages that do not exist in English. If you create some patterns for Italian I can translate them and include them in English and others can do the same.

Hi Steve and all
I’m also interested in this “pattern course”, and I’m working on it. As you say, I can find different patterns in Portuguese and so I’m including them as well, I’ll let you know when I have a few lessons.
As for the common icon, what about this one? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1028855/lingq/patterns.png
I’m open to suggestions, and can try to find something different.

Fernanda