Pages of Russian History . Why?

I’ve been reading a series of lessons called Pages of Russian History, posted by Evgueny40 (Evgueny Bokhanosky). Overall it’s well done, and I’ve learned quite a bit of Russian history (and Russian vocabulary!). In the lesson on Catherine the Great, there is a reference to the territories conquered by Catherine on the northern shores of the Black sea, “that are today Ukrainian territories” and that Catherine decided to call Novorossiya, with this comment : несмотря на неудовосльствие западно-украинских нацищналистов, in spite of the displeasure of the western-ukrainian nationalists. Where does that come from ? Isn’t it completely out of place ? My interest in Russian is the beauty of the language and the strength of its literature, Пушкин, not Путин, two letters that change everything—

3 Likes

I’m sure such a thing would displease western Ukrainian nationalists. Anyway, everyone has their own point of view. Maybe it would be best to take it up with Evgueny Bokhanosky himself.

It would be nice to see the comment in its full context, and not just a sentence fragment.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s really out of place, having a territory called litterally “Newrussia” might not be very pleasing indeed for the ukrainians who lives in it, especially now. I don’t know if there’s more “out of place” things in these stories you’re reading, but as you present it now, I only see it as a “fun fact” or something like that, not something related to the war between Ukraine and Russia

3 Likes

From lesson info to view course, you can (web app) click on the vertical ellipses and report this. I would.

I think that your interpretation of author’s lesson is quite different to what author meant to say. I read this whole lesson, and can say that you’re crying wolves. The term Novorossia was used waaaay back, here’s a wiki-page, and the fact that today’s propagandists use this term is just a reappropriation. Think of how many cultures used swasticas before the third reich, or how the term Führer is so strongly associated with Hitler, that it’s somewhat avoided now

Anyways, I don’t think that there is any anti-ukranian message in this lesson.

3 Likes

Having read and listened to a TON of Yevgeniy’s stuff, you need to understand that he is a Russian writing from a broadly pro-Russian perspective.

I have no idea what his thoughts are on events of the last two years, nor is it relevant to whether you can learn Russian from him. You’ll encounter different perspectives in native language material. It won’t kill you to read a perspective you disagree with from time to time.

I did eventually get away from listening to Yevgeniy’s stuff, but mostly because I knew I needed to start listening to different accents, speaking rates, etc. I didn’t always agree with his interpretation of historical events, but I appreciated his willingness to put out information to help others learn his language.

5 Likes

Just to be clear, I intend to continue to read Yevgueny’s Pages of Russian history. In addition, the comment led me to dive further into the story of “Novorossya”, which is somewhat complex and quite interesting in fact. I was just pointing out a comment with obvious contemporary implications that seemed out of place, which came “comme un cheveu sur la soupe”, as we say in my native language…

1 Like

The LingQ lesson for this was created back at the end of 2012 (so before the Russian annexation of Crimea). Whether this was edited in later, I can’t say, but this is a very old lesson.

2 Likes

Against the war and have to agree without some context about the current war this just seems like… factual information? That’s not really a problem and even its mentioning will ultimately serve your language goals. Being afraid of learning other views isn’t conductive to learning, no matter what it is.

That said, if this is really used as a blood-and-soil propaganda then of course I’m not favourable to it, but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

3 Likes