Over LingQ'ing just to make Top Performer Lists

@ kimojima

I don’t really understand what you are saying. Are you saying that people should spend less time reading and more time in the vocabulary section marking LingQs as known? Is this a more effective learning strategy than reading all the time?

I don’t know about others, but I have so far with German (known words 18,500) found that as I progress, I am marking a smaller fraction of new words in every document as known. It used to be that when I opened a document, I would LingQ 30% of the blue words, but now I LingQ around 80% and I don’t set many of the previously LingQed words to known since I usually don’t know them. Therefore my number of LingQs recently exceeded my known word count and will continue to grow faster than my known word count for quite a while. I don’t know what will happen as I progress in German. Maybe Skyblueteapot has a better idea.

Sorry for having bugged other diligent LingQers like SBTP in October 2010 … (Activity Score - 25733)

http://lingqcentral-en.lingq.com/honour-roll-for-october-2010

The simple reason for such a high activity score was the poor import system that forced me to do the same import several times until everything was imported the right way. What’s more - deleting LingQs does not result in a negative score change…

I like quote in that past from Alex

“hape, we never did say that imported LingQs didn’t count towards your AI, so you technically still did “win” (even if there is no prize…yet!)”

2.5 years later still no prize. I feel cheated! Make a prize and I’ll win every time

I feel like this should be some new Internet meme. “Makes LingQs. Never marks them as known”

I have had weeks where I have spent upwards of 40+ hours with Lingq content. I download audio and print the transcripts. There is not evidence of what I did on the website whatsoever for most of this work. Does this bother me? No. This is just how I chose to use the site. I have never been on the list, but then again I don’t really care.

Its just a way of motivating people to use the website and get familiar with the language. Who cares if they “learn” all their lingqs? At least they are getting familiar with them. Perhaps they have a high standard for what they consider to be a “known” word, and so don’t mark too many?

Just lighten up about it. Everyone learns differently.

@kimojima You’re out of control with your assumptions. Who would have known? Moving a LingQ to known is a requirement for knowing a word. Hmmm…no, it’s not.

I like marking words known because I make goals based on known words. But I realize that others will do otherwise. The difference is I don’t hold others to my personal standards. What a concept!

@Kimojima

This isn’t a surfing contest. This is a surfing school.

No ones worries about the name because no one cares. Its not like Steve comes to your house with a fruit basket when you are at the top of the list.

@spatterson - This one’s for you: Makes LingQs Never marks them as Known - Condescending Wonka - quickmeme

I don’t see how that would work Kimojima.

There is too much variablity between how users learn, and how different languages are learned, to make a system like that fair.

Without a reward its just a fun gimmick, that encourages people who are encouraged by things like that. When there is a prize, it would be work. There would be contentiousness.

Alex, Yes! I feel like this is a viral meme in the making!

Or how about this

@spatterson - Or this: quickmeme: the funniest page on the internet

@ kimojima - I just want to point out that it is called ‘Activity Score’ and not ‘Achievement Score’.

@ Alex - I think the most obvious way to improve the activity score is to scale it differently for different languages. Somebody creating 12,000 LingQs in Chinese is much more impressive than somebody creating 12,000 LingQs in Russian.

@ColinPhilipJohnstone - Thanks for the feedback. As mentioned in my first post on this thread, at some point we may look at revising the calculation, but it isn’t something imminent.

@ColinPhilipJohnstone - nodding here. As for moving lingQed words to known, I KNOW a stack of Japanese and Chinese words, but not necessarily the kanji or hanzi for them, so I will definitely NOT be in any hurry to make my eventual gazillion lingQs ‘known’!

@kimojima - As a newbie on here, I think the activity score is a great motivator, but what is UNMOTIVATING is listening to whingers (American lingo: whiners) who want to pooh-pooh others’ achievements, and possibily suggesting that others are just having playtime on here (with some concession for newbies). Well…I can easily see myself (when no longer a newbie) having 8,000 known words and 20,000 lingQs…or 50,000 known words and 125,000 lingQs - and who cares?

I also know like others I work damn hard, am passionate about what I do and tend to be a bit of a perfectionist…

I’ll also be cheering, as opposed to pooh-poohing, for the monthly winners:
“Let me say, ‘There they ride, on whom laurel’s bestowed
Since they played the game better than I.’
Let me stand with a smile by the side of the road,
and cheer as the winners go by.”

@alex - discovered your videos yesterday - what an inspiring person you are! hope you don’t lose some of that passion listening to whingers, lol

I must say I agree with kcb. I don’t understand the sentiments behind the following statement from kimojima

“Again, why am I celebrating a list of folks who have indiscriminately LingQ’d a bunch of words and have never bothered to put in the time to review them and/or are just too bashful to admit they know the words within context?”

I am an avid LingQer. I LingQ any word which I am not sure of. Then I go through the text again LingQing phrases. I create a lot of LingQs. Soon, however, there are and more words that I don’t need to LingQ since they are similar or related to words I already know. So my known words total soon exceeds my LingQ by 2 to 1. I don’t “move words to known” so much, therefore my Learned Words total is usually low. However, that does not mean that I do not learn them. I do review them from time to time on my iPhone, but mostly I review the yellow highlighted LingQs while reading. Magically, and naturally, I am able to read more and more. More and more of my yellow LingQs become known, whether I move them to known or not. And more and more words do not need to be LingQed because they are known. Soon I can read and understand a lot.

Our statistics measure what we can easily measure. We cannot easily measure what is learned, but we can measure activities. People’s favourite activities vary, obviously, so that the activity index may not equate to a learning index. People have different learning methods. I can say that my method is very effective for me, and I strongly suggest others give it a try.

However, we need not “celebrate” anyone, nor do we need to be concerned about people who "cannot be bothered to put in the time " to learn in a certain way, nor do we need to make assumptions about how much other people understand or whether they are "to bashful " to admit what they don’t know.

Language learning is an individual experience, yet we can all share our experiences.

“But if I see them months down the road and they have 8,000 Known Words and 20,000 LingQs and they’re sitting pretty on the all-time leader list for their language then it’s Sham City.”

Lets see, right now I have 8,046 known words and 25,165 LingQs… but I’m only 2nd all time in LingQs for Japanese. I wonder if I’m the type of LingQ’er that kimojima is referring to?

“Great, but let’s call it what it is. The Activity Rankings are for people having the most fun on LingQ”

Haha, yep. I think I am.

Thank you for the best wishes. I’m going back to holding down the enter key for a while because it is so enjoyable. While you may never reach my outstandingly wonderful LingQ count, take solace in knowing that I am a fraud.

kimojima,

Mine was not a summary post nor a call for everyone to keep quiet and go to bed. It was just a contribution to the discusion.

The activity score is not going to be changed. I believe it is an accurate reflection of the people who are getting the most out of LingQ. I think aggressive LingQing is the most effective way to learn at our site. In simple terms, more LingQing will mean more learning, in most cases.

Intently trying to “learn” the words will not, in my view, deliver the same results as spending more time reading and listening and LingQing.

So let’s just say that we disagree.

I also doubt that many people abuse the system, hold down the enter key or whatever, since most people are not that interested in fooling themselves.

I really don’t see your point. We are not going to change the Activity Score. I think it is a valid way of measuring activity at LingQ. Nothing is perfect.