Over LingQ'ing just to make Top Performer Lists

My LingQs are much higher than my Known Words count. I prefer to read and listen a lot so I am always accumulating new LingQs. My “Known Word” count on the other hand really isn’t that high because I am more conservative in marking a word as known, as I prefer to flash card new words multiple times and prefer to see new words be used in multiple contexts before I change them from yellow to white. I think people learn and use the system in different ways.

You are right about beginning a new language. I am just getting started in Russian and I have 120 known words and almost 1000 LingQs. I suspect when I have 1000 known words, I will have many more than 5000 LingQs.

I have 18,500 known words in German, and 19,000 LingQs. I only ever set LingQs to known when I come across them in a text, understand them, and am pretty sure I will understand them next time I see them. This is relatively rare, so I have only ever set 2020 LingQs to known.

I don’t know about anybody else, but I have never made LingQs just to make the leader board. I hope this information is useful.

@Kimojima
Did you start using lingQ already relatively familiar with your target language? I had studied French for a rather long time before I started here, so I know most of the words I come across. I don’t make lingqs very often.

Those who are starting on a blank slate in a language will, as would be inherent, have to lingq everything. It can’t be expected that 100 percent of these lingqs will get learned… perhaps ever!

@kimojima - Thanks for your feedback on this. As some others have mentioned, people will use the site very differently. I know that in my case I don’t spend much time moving LingQs to Status 4, but instead just work my way through content and save any new words that I don’t know. Those who move their LingQs to Status 4 are actually rewarded for doing so, as each Learned LingQ also counts as 1 in the Activity Score calculation.

There may be some learners who are just creating LingQs for the sake of being on top of the leader board for a specific month, but those who are really committed will find themselves there multiple times, and not just first place for one month then never on the Top 25 again.

At some point we may look at revising the calculation to better reflect some of the other activities on the site, but for now we hope that the Honour Roll still serves its purpose as motivating learners and recognizing high achievers.

“What are you reading? Physician’s Desk Reference of Biochemical Compounds or Spare Parts Catalog for Propulsion Systems?”

Just a lot of literature. With German, I jumped into Fontane at a fairly early level. I prefer to dive head first into a language and wrestle with difficult material rather than spending months mastering all the vocabularly in “My Pet Goat,” for example. This of course will affect my LingQ/Known Words ratio, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. People just prefer to learn things in different ways. I think someone actively trying to game the LingQ “top contestants” ranking has too much time on their hands, and I don’t think it is even a passing concern for anyone seriously trying to learn a language on this site.

1 Like

Yes too much time on their hands.

BTW, the easiest way to game the system is via the “import vocabulary” feature. Maybe I’ll game the system and crank up my Activity Score in English (I’m a native speaker) just to make myself feel good this month

“BTW, the easiest way to game the system is via the “import vocabulary” feature.”

Wait, so if I import an entire dictionary, I could have an activity score of 200,000 by the end of the month? I am all over it!

Yeah, I’m actually writing a script to import a couple hundred thousand “random” (gibberish) words. I’ll be the English leader this much for sure

We had someone “game the system” a couple of years ago: http://lingqcentral-en.lingq.com/honour-roll-for-october-2011

I wonder if LingQbot will make a return some time soon…

LOL, that’s hilarious

LingQbot, what a legend!

The highest I got my activity score to was just over 8000, and that almost killed me.

lol, at being concerned about top performer lists.

I collect a lot of audio and transcripts, and then listen and read off line 5 or 6 hours a day, I’m sure my stats were/are terrible.

Who cares about anyone else’s lingq stats? - unless it motivates you in a positive way you should really rethink your views on “status”.

This thread is cracking me up!

1 Like

@kimojima - cracking up here too all the way from Aussie…who cares? You gotta lighten up, mate! I enjoyed your posts on Goldlisting…

LingQ is about reading for me, not making sets of flashcards/list/whatever to drill separately, even if I may (more and more seldom, though) do that as well.

I don’t care about how many words I learn, I just want to get the coolest avatar.

1 Like

What if you’re reading extensively on LingQ, some words won’t reappear and what’s the point of restudying those words when you rarely see them? Quite frankly there is more of these words than the most common 2,000 or even 10,000 words for that matter! There’s soooo many words that you might never see again. To me I don’t feel like people would “Over LingQ” just to make the Top Performer Lists, what gain is there if you’re not actually learning? I do agree with what you’re saying about how as one gets more advanced in the language they will have less LingQ’s per known word but in contrast, won’t they encounter even more low frequency words that are not necessarily top priority to learn? It’s a Catch 22.

You’re probably right, I should knock off many words as known from my LingQ’s but quite honestly I hate flashcards. Something I’ve noticed lately is that a lot of words in yellow I no longer need to look up that is a known word but until recently I’ve been very reluctant to mark those words as known. Why? I felt it interrupted the flow of my reading. But recently, I’ve made it a goal to mark yellow words known when I no longer need the definition in order to understand the word. And I think that’s where people go wrong, people are just like me and don’t even bother to mark LingQ’s as known because it just doesn’t cross their mind. That probably needs to be stressed but also you don’t want to mark a word known too early so there must be a proper balance. So regarding that I agree that that should be cleaned up with an effort to mark truly known words known.

By the way this thread has encouraged me on focusing on words that are already LingQed and learning them so thank you!

@kimojima Sounds to me like you’re making bold (and baseless) assumptions about the motives of unknown people. My opinion is that if someone doesn’t want to take the time (yes it takes lots of time) to mark lingqs as known, then more power to them. Why would someone be ‘punished’ for (not) doing this? And if someone wants to mark the majority of new words as lingqs, then more power to them as well. I don’t understand your concern. Besides, there obviously isn’t one rubric by which you can measure the legitimacy of someone else’s activity score.

1 Like

There are no hard and fast rules for using LingQ. As a result people experiment to see what works best for them.

It seems to work well for me to keep my created but not yet learned LingQs at just under 25 000 per language. Don’t ask me why, it just seems like a nice round sum. That gives me lots of space to ignore words I only encountered once. The words I learn are the ones that crop up repeatedly in my reading.

It bugs me sometimes when the person in the top activity slot in a month got there from importing a dictionary or some such. Sometimes it’s a new user who is bringing in his or her work from another system, in which case they aren’t abusing the system, just being rewarded for historical achievements. Sometimes new people want to create a lot of lingqs in their first few months. Nothing wrong with that as a technique, I did that too. And sometimes someone is just playing LingQ like a video game. In that case, they will soon get bored and go away.

I would recommend people to review their vocabulary page a couple of times a week, to move some words to known, but if people don’t want to, there’s no point in insisting on it.