Our relationship to snow

Our relationship to snow, at least down here in southern England, is changing. Last night on the train home from London I overheard to separate conversations where people referred to snow as ‘the white stuff’. “Don’t tell me we are going to get more of the white stuff this weekend, the weather is getting ridiculous!”

N.B. I am fairly certain that neither of the parties concerned were involved in the drug trade I think an element of superstition may be playing a part : if I don’t name it, it won’t happen…

Actually, what the “white stuff” lets one think of, is not snow at all! In italy that drug is commonly called “the white dust” (and other names I’m not very practical of :slight_smile: ). Well, as far as I can tell, what you overheard is singular, indeed! Also, sounds like kind of derogative, whereas I find something romantic and poetic in snow… probably to them it’s just disturbing

Hello Tosca, I think you are right. Snow used to be a rarity for us but this year we have been inconvenienced by it a couple of times too often and so our romance with it has worn off. “The white stuff” clearly has a negative sound to it…

Or maybe they called it “white stuff” because it’s a mixture of snow and mud… who knows? I think it’s bizarre, anyway :slight_smile: