Ornithological Word Police

I knew that dunnock was an old word for a sparrow.

Apparently the ornithological word police is out in force: we are no longer allowed to call sparrows sparrows; sparrows are dunnocks now. Beware! Is that a ***** I see? No, it’s a dunnock! I learnt this at a nature reserve today, so it must be true…

Will we now have to say “she eats like a dunnock”? And what about Edith Piaf? Do we now call her Edith the dunnock?

No wonder sparrows are endangered when they all turn into dunnocks.

What about ”Jack Sparrow”? I don’t want to call my dear Johnny Depp “Jack Dunnock”!

Not forgetting “The little sparrow of Avignon”, the wonderful French singer. The little dunnock of Avignion is back – it’s dreadful. But there is a huge different between the two of them (as per Wikipedia): 1. Sparrow - true sparrows, the Old World sparrows in the family Passeridae, are small passerine birds. As eight or more species nest in or near buildings, and the House Sparrow and Eurasian Tree Sparrow in particular inhabit cities in large numbers, sparrows may be the most familiar of all wild birds. 2. The Dunnock, Prunella modularis, is a small passerine bird found throughout temperate Europe and into Asia. It is by far the most widespread member of the accentor family, which otherwise consists of mountain species. It is sometimes called the Hedge Accentor, Hedge Sparrow or Hedge Warbler.

There are many types of both that is why they differ one from another. That means: little birds have been sparrows previously and so now and furthermore. But I wouldn’t like to go to prison :wink:

Ich werde dich nicht verpfeifen! Tweet, tweet.