One year using Lingq, also... What are you favourite parts about Lingq?

This is really interesting. I tried Lingq for chinese and I also found the experience a little but worse than for spanish or the other romance languages. Any ideas for how it could be made better for chinese?

“Obviously the biggest drawback is the sheer number of bugs LingQ has and the fact that every user has signed up to be a beta tester.” Yeah bugs are annoying for sure. What do you mean by the beta tester comment?

but thats cool to hear. I never use it on the phone. I almost only use the web app with the import feature. How do you find the youtube import feature? Does it work well for you?

Thats a great list of pros and cons! I also find the youtube video experience sub optimal. It takes such a long time to import all the text. Its annoying how its broken into multiple parts.

what are some common bugs you tend to see?

Hey Yundan,

I would reccomend as much or as little as is fun for you!

There is no magic number. Sometimes I have gone weeks off the platform cause I didnt want to and I was just enjoying podcasts or youtube.

And sometimes I was on 3-4 hours a day trying to get as many new words saved as possible since its fun.

What level and what language are you learning?

well let me know of you want some french youtube channels. Youtube is probably my main resource.

One you can check out that has great subtitles is

InnerFrench. He makes videos on all kinds of intereseting subjects.

Yeah bugs are annoying for sure. What do you mean by the beta tester comment?

You would normally have a testing environment and review all changes and updates to make sure everything’s working well before you update the live version. LingQ doesn’t do that, so the people who are “beta testing the app” are the users instead.

1 Like

What is the whisper integration? Where do I find it?

Oh i did not know that. I assumed that they would test stuff before pushing new changes live :sweat_smile:

When you import/create a lesson, the button for Whisper is toward the bottom of the web page.

I doubt anything is going to happen, but here are some suggestions:

• Treat English / non-Chinese words like numbers (123), e.g. can be part of a phrase if desired but not LingQs by default
  • Upgrade the current word splitter (max. 86% accuracy) to some more advanced machine learning based software (up to 97% accuracy)
  • Offer a dictionary mode, no word highlighting at all, the user is in control and makes the selection. This mode is found in dictionary apps (like Pleco, where I read a lot nowadays) or browser based pop-up dictionaries (Chinese Yomichan Setup · GitHub).
    I have written more about the problem here: Chinese Word Recognition (Wrong Characters Are Combined) ...
    Don’t get me wrong it’s not a dealbreaker, but it does get annoying. Especially as I feel the incentives get reversed, normally the coloring is supposed to direct your attention towards the important words you still have to learn, but instead I have to interact with swathes of nonsense words that have no relevance to me, just to ignore them. (Or alternatively page them to known but that feels like cheating and bloats the numbers.)

During the years I’ve learnt to use LingQ better and better, and this made me use it more and more. I wished I had started before to use it actually.

I’m slowly learning German and now maintaining French, Spanish and English at the same time.

Lately, I have even learnt how to use it on my iPhone (which I use every morning).

I use web, iPad and iPhone in different ways and it’s a great tool overall. I just wished there were less problems/bugs and the need to find countless workaround to make it work.
I’m usually able to find workarounds but sometimes I’m not and it’s a bit frustrating.

I need to adapt myself quite often to the problems, but I’m also happy about the positive functionalities of the software as well (which are many).

I’ve learnt to let go things that are not really necessary, and I focus more and more only on what matters (which is at the end, if I progress or not in my target languages).

There are also lots of things that I don’t use, and if I had more time, or mostly energy, I would probably exploit them.

For me, LingQ is now my main tool. And I believe there is here one of the greatest language communities as well, which is not so easy to have!

awesome!

These are great suggestions!

What I like the most about LingQ is that it has useful tools for (A) people at different levels and (B) people who learn using different methods. For example, Steve’s method (and mine) is to NOT memorize vocabulary words. But LingQ has features for that exact purpose, since many students do that.

I am currently using LingQ to try out some new languages, and decide which of them (if any) to study further. The 60 mini-stories give fairly simple (but not beginner) content in each language, along with tools to figure things out. So far this approach has eliminated 6 languages for me. I’m still doing 2 each day.

That’s a minimum approach for now (2 x 20 min each day), which fits my current needs. Everyone is different.

Such a great idea with such a bad management. What a waste.

Do you think there should be a even more beginner level of the mini stories?

@erikd234- wow! That is amazing you are learning Spanish, Italian and French. Congrats! My favorite part of @LingQ is the audio. I am a listening learner and love to hear it. Personally, I wish there were more quizzes and a pronunciation guide, and somehow I feel a little disorganized where to go next if I finish beginner 1. However, I have learned a lot, LOVE my dream language, and now check @LingQ daily.
Good luck!

What you´re doing is great, and I think in my opinion you should see the Romance language like dialects. If you have not already, I highly recommend you do a bit of latin, at least try the mini stories. I have done a bit of Latin and it is really interesting how it helps with getting the feel for things in the small bit of Romance languages I have done so far. But I am practising what I preach when it comes to Germanic languages, I am doing Icelandic (apparently this is very similar to Old Norse and retains cases like Old English used to have) and though some of it is subconcious, it is having a positive effect on my morale whilst learning Scandinavian languages (Icelandic seems to have Norwegian word order which in Swedish is seen as an “old fashioned” way of talking, but it helps everything feel more natural).
The best thing about Lingq which I have just started to do is using Swedish as one of my translation languages (you can store translations in multiple languages) and this is very helpful in Danish where sometimes the word is similar and it helps me “get” the danish word faster. This may also help you between Spanish, Italian and Portuguese (it will only be a matter of time before you are on Portuguese and Catalan I am sure…)
You see interesting things like how the language families tend to have “dormant” words which exist in their language, but are the main word in another.

2 Likes

Before starting with LingQ, I was using pen and paper. I filled notebooks with text copied from books by hand, each sentence followed by a translation into English, then I went back and highlighted each vocabulary word in its own color and also highlighted the English words with matching colors. It was tedious! And I couldn’t keep track of words I had looked up before, so I was looking up some of the same words over and over. I also tried to make my own vocabulary list (dictionary) but, again, it was tedious!

Compared to what I did for many years up until now, LingQ is a ton more convenient. I know people complain about bugs and glitches, but it’s really trivial compared to the amount of effort I had to put in before, so I’m really happy.

Also, it’s really great that others have gone before me and supplied so many great definitions. I still have to look some words up, and sometimes I have to confirm that a definition is correct, but it’s a whole lot easier than going it all on my own.

AND there’s a sense of community, too. Didn’t have that before.

1 Like