On Youtube a Russian girl says: "Throw away your grammar

Hi! =)) Unfortunately, we have way more chances to meet them! :wink:

Besides, to adivse that those learning Russian, one of the languages completely based on grammar, throw away their grammar books is a bit more than completely idiotic piece of advice, to say the least of it! :wink:

If you have a grammar book, you should not throw it away, but I wouldn’t spend too much time on it until I have enough experience with the language, otherwise many of the rules and explanations will be quite meaningless. You have to keep on going back, like going back to the buffet table for more food.

Absolutely, Steve! =))) Totally agree with You! =)) Sure enough, just reading any grammar book alone is like eating salt and spices without any food! :wink:

полностью согласен, мой друг.

Совершенно верно! =))) Сначала нужен хотя бы небольшой запас слов и понимание принципов построения простых предложений… После этого явно появятся вопросы, почему эти слова используются именно в такой форме, да и как они вообще образуются и почему располагаются в предложении именно в таком порядке… =))) Вот тут без грамматики уже не обойтись, а этап этот достигается очень быстро! :wink:

Hello Pauler, I don’t mean to sound rude but you are making a rather insulting general statements to my kind (Russian girls). From my personal experience I can say that I know many, many not stupid Russian girls who teach and have taught Russian for the purpose of teaching Russian as a foreign language. I spent the last two years teaching Russian as a foreign language at several schools in Germany. Some of my fellow colleagues (who were mostly girls) who took part in the same programme I did (getting into which involved a big competition) decided that it was their calling and I would not be surprised if I found their youtube videos at some point. Youtube and different social networks are becoming a major part of our professional life too. It is accessible to a lot of people. It is not surprising that some of them will have a poor command of language as well as insufficient methodical teaching skills. However, I think it is important not to overlook the girls (and boys) showing initiative and having enough courage and interest in their subject to share their knowledge with the rest of the world. I also think it is crucial not label them straight away just because they are willing to look into the future of teaching and are brave enough to do that.

Hi, Sofia! =)))

Anyways, you do agree throwing away grammar books is an absolute pre-requisite for a successful language learning process, I gather? :wink:

Tell you the truth, being too wordy does not necessarily mean being right! :wink:

Sometimes it is examples which are necessary to point out ignorance in people. Examples mean words. I won’t cross out one word because it is necessary for the message. If your writing is characterized by the lack of words it might also mean you have nothing to say but make dubious comments and use an unnecessary tone of familiarity which doesn’t belong in a mature conversation.

Being too wordy does not mean being too meaningful! :wink:
You still have to go ahead and master this type of skill, though! :wink:

Some of these youtube gurus really do know what they are talking about. One of the Russian women on youtube is a filologist. She made a really good video about verbal aspect and is definitely not an idiot.

I think I know which girl the original poster is talking about. And while she obviously has no theoretical knowledge of Russian language I wouldn’t call her an idiot. She’s just young and inexperienced. I bow to her passion for her native language, that’s for sure. Personally I don’t feel that way about Norwegian.

If something doesn’t seem meaningful to some people, it might be just their unwillingness, lack of chance, lack of capability etc. to understand it. BTW we are not friends, I would suggest you excluded all :wink: from your speech. I try to lead a communication in a respectful way with you as well as with all members of lingq and hope to have the same response.

Hi ! =))) An inexperienced but passionate stupid idiot, wow, she has quite a nice combination! :wink: One can see, all of the stupid idiots are very passionate, which is apparent judging by the wordiness of the one above! :wink:

Not until after you’ve become legit professional, ok? :wink:

To Wulfgar in the reply below: It’s just because all these language indicators here are nothing but toys for children having absolutely nothing to do with any language study! :wink:

I believe you are not and will not be the one to judge whether someone is or is not a legitimate professional. And I think it is apparent to all of the readers of this post who actually behaves like a “true idiot”. What a shame that people like you build the impression that there are so few good, clever and open-minded Russian men and only such ignorant and rude ones like yourself.

Your behaviour is insulting and completely uncalled for.

Oh, I do appreciate your self-criticism! :wink: Not bad for a beginner like you! :wink:

Yes, as a reader, it’s quite apparent to me who’s behaving rudely and using false arguments, unsubstantiated generalizations and name-calling as replacement for real reasoning, all of which can be rightly considered marks of “idiocy”.

Clue: it’s definitely not Sofia.

@pauler
I don’t quite believe my eyes: normally I take your posts with a wry smile and a large grain of salt because you often have something valid to say. But this exchange has gone too far. I know that many Russians (?Russian men?) like an online slinging match, but in your posts within this thread you have overstepped the mark. Sofia is a wonderful tutor, has an excellent command of German and English, so I would think her even more of an expert of her own language, even though she may not yet have got her PhD. So, please, please, reign in your language when you make personal observations, or, even better, refrain completely from making disparaging, hateful comments. Thank you.

Thank you for supporting my opinion!