Olympic hockey

Oh I see. In this case I would say that they had a lot of scoring chances and were attacking a lot.

I hope Russian team will win. At least this generation of players such Datsyuk, Ovi, Gino and others deserves their moment of glory. But objectively the team has a lot of drawbacks. So they mast act like usual Russians act - not because but against. But Canada seems terrific, USA also is not a present.

I think Russia will probably play much better against the U.S. on Saturday than they did in their opening game against Slovenia. They were probably nervous playing in front of their home country. There is going to be a lot of pressure on them to win that the other teams in the tournament will not have to deal with. They certainly have plenty of players that can score goals and despite Varlamov’s performance against Slovenia, I think Russia has good goaltending as well. I’m not sure if their defense is good enough though. They will need to play solid team defense to keep their opponents goal scoring down. This will be the most difficult for players like Ovechkin or Ilya Kovalchuk who play at their best when they are allowed to make risky plays on offense. If they can find the right balance for players like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk, Russia can go far in the tournament.

There is a very good new film about one of the best Russian hockeyplayer Valeri Kharlamov. I found this movie in Youtube - YouTube Unfortunately it is in Russian and is without subtitles, but if you do some more search, you might find one with subtitles too. I didn’t know anything about hockey before, but after seeing that movie got completely different understanding about the game. One of the best movies I have seen for a long time!

I found an article about that movie Legend no 17 and a trailer with subtitles http://rbth.co.uk/arts/sport/2013/05/11/legend_no_17_soviet_ice_hockey_icon_valeri_kharlamov_25871.html

USA USA USA I applaud the amazing effort by both teams,what a game Im mentally spent and its only 10 am here,wow

WHAT A GAME
AMERICANS WILL NEVER BE FORGIVEN FOR NOT COUNTING OUR 3RD GOAL

СУКИ. Слов нет. Только мат.

The third goal was due to the goal being off of it’s pegs. In NHL play I think that would have been counted, but olympic rules says no goal (it has nothing to do with an “American judge”). It’s unfortunate, but that is a correct call by the refs according to the book. Russia deserved the win, but I’m personally happy with the win :). Oshie was amazingly consistent with such a deep bag of tricks!

The Russians played great, and hopefully we’ll get to see a re-match of this game in the medal round!

Is Germany leading or am I high?^^

https://www.google.de/search?q=sochi+2014+medal+count&oq=sochi+2014&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j69i61j0l4.9118j0j9&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Then they should rewatch all of the goals in all games to see where the gate is, because I do not trust the “American judge”. They didn’t count a foul when a player was literally pounding our player on the head. Our player didn’t have the puck. The same situation with roles reversed several minutes earlier - they counted a foul against us. This was not fair judging.

Paul, by the number of gold medals, yes. Russia has the most amount of medals though.

“Paul, by the number of gold medals, yes. Russia has the most amount of medals though.”

Well, I can live with that.^^

Nebulae, please don’t swear on our forum. I have deleted your post.

I didn’t see the game. I don’t understand why they don’t just use neutral referees.

However, the disallowed goal was reviewed on video replay, apparently. There are also two referees when it comes to calling penalties. Were they both American?

From what I read, the Russians were better. In the end, these round robin games don’t mean that much. It is the elimination round that matters. If they show the game again I will be watching.

I don’t like this criteria of ranking countries based on the amount of gold medals that they’ve won, because it disregards the amount of silvers and bronzes won by countries. Does anyone else think that there should be a points system instead? Example: 3 points for a gold, 2 for a silver, and 1 for a bronze.

@Nebulae

“WHAT A GAME
AMERICANS WILL NEVER BE FORGIVEN FOR NOT COUNTING OUR 3RD GOAL”

Which Americans do you have in mind?

And Steve is right: you don’t get a medal for finishing at the top of your pool. Canada at the World Juniors usually win their group but then choke in the elimination rounds.

Steve, you know, those Americans that hold the same very odd view as you about luge: “fantastic spectator sport, so varied, so expressive, so artistic”, “dignified”, “much better than figure skating”. Your posts to me sometimes look more like trolling. You won’t provoke me into a discussion about Americans so you can be their noble defender.

As I’m reading more about today’s match, I am learning that the NHL dictates the rules about refs and they always send their own so that their team is not cheated. Which is total BS. By that logic, each team should have their own ref or neither of them should. This practice must stop.