Okay, next feature

So we have a pretty interface now. Can we get an “extreme makeover” in terms of performance? Performance IS a key feature.

There are many interesting case studies out there. Here’s a few

http://blog.loadimpact.com/2013/10/07/website-owners-overestimation-of-user-capacity-by-3-4-times-kills-profits-and-customer-retention/

So, I ran LingQ through the “YSlow” website optimization plugin. There are some interesting results you should see. Minifying, combined the js files is a good idea. gzip could be useful

Also, I took a lesson page and stripped lines like this

Angst

to

Angst

For each word in the lesson you cut 16 characters of HTML. For a 2000+ word lesson that’s quite a bit saved on your servers and our load time

Do the same with your “initial_cards” variable
ar initial_cards = {“16235520”: {“status”: 3, “is_phrase”: false, “tags”: “”, “fragment”: “Da vorne an der Ecke ist ein Restaurant.”, “text”: “an”, “image”: null, “extended_status”: 3, “id”: 16235520, “hints”: [{“locale”: “en”, “text”: “at, in, on”, “id”: 1664824}]
etc.

Strip out the vowels, make the tags shorter and you have a drastically reduced size footprint. Sure it might make your code harder to read, but we don’t care

Also a lot of the these have “audio”: null" for me. You should be able to NOT send that field at all if the audio value is null.

Let’s start cooking with gas

1 Like

I’ve been playing around with a firefox plugin today called FasterFox. It seems (I could be imagining things…) but it seems to have sped up the lingq page loading times quite a bit.

Thanks a lot spatterson. We are definitely interested in any suggestions to improve speed and performance. As someone who spent his first year at Russian using LingQ at a time when creating a LingQ took 5 or more seconds, I have seen great improvement in the performance and stability of my favourite place to study languages. We want to continue improving it and all help is welcome.

BTW, it seems to me that you were looking for a search by known words function. We have that function in the library, and I use it all the time to select the next lesson to study. We can search by most new words and fewest new words in the library. Is that not what you were referring to?

While on the subject of the library, although not the subject of this thread, I am also curious to hear ideas on how to organize our massive library to make it easier to navigate and to find things there.

Well that search feature is close I think that search is counting only “blue” words. So if it says “5 new words” in the lesson, that’s 5 blue words and possibly hundreds of yellow words. I want a way to find a lesson with, say, 10% blue/yellow words total.

I think with a few tweaks here and there you could squeeze out some performance and save some load on your servers.

I’ll think about ways to organizing the library – but I think the new lessons page was a big step in the right direction.

I feel like I’ve spent enough time learning a bunch of grammar and words in the last few months. I’m switching back in Jan to using LingQ extensively for reading. I’ve dubbed this (after Intel’s strategy) tick-tock. tick with some grammar, tock with some reading to solidify those concepts and learn new ones – so I’ll be thinking of ways to improve LingQ.

1 Like

I prefer a blue words only count, since I go through and convert them to yellow for iPad reading, or for another pass through with only yellow words where I save phrases. Never thought of the need for a yellow word count. I wonder how widespread the desire for this is.

Thanks for all you do for LingQ, and for organizing the cheese fest in Zurich!

I think it would be better to replace the new word count in the library with an unknown word fraction. That would be

(New words + LingQs) / total number of word forms

This would be a more accurate definition of difficultly than simple the number of new words.

But this is of course not something to worry about now. When everything else is up and running properly, maybe it is something to think about.

I tend to keep my yellow words around a long time. These are not unknown, they are in various stages of becoming fully known. I prefer to see the blue words. So these things are individual. In any case, this is a refinement for later as you say.

Yes, I guess this depends a lot on the person. I only have my LingQs as know or unknown and use the LingQ statuses to distinguish between unimportant vocabulary (level 1), important vocabulary (level 2), and phrases (level 3).

By the way, what does the new tick box mean between level 4 and the red cross when looking at the LingQ status selector thing?

I’m actually a chronic, life-long "never-move-yellows-to-known"er It’s a problem. I am reluctant to move my yellows to known.

New tick box? I don’t know. I am heading downtown now here in Vienna. Carmen and I have a place near the Hietzing subway station and are headed to Karlplatz for some typical Viennese food and a stroll around town. Alex or Mark will be able to answer. Tomorrow Slovakia.

I forgot to mention that LingQ member Astrid gave us a (professional) guided walking tour yesterday and we had a lovely dinner near our apartment with member Tommy and his Mom.

LingQers linking up around the world!

Shame you didn’t come a week earlier. You could have seen my public talk about the Sun, the heliosphere, and the Voyager space probes. It would be possible to do it again for people on Google Hangouts if anybody is interested.

Colin, you mean the Green Check? That’s move to status 4 (known) and do not test in the future

And the Red Cross is simply ignore or delete. This means that word will be removed from your database and considered a word to be ignored.

This page has some interesting insights.

http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

Put in a URL to a lesson page

@spatterson - We recognize the importance of speed and have spent quite a bit of effort trying to speed up the site. Of course, there are always things that can still be done. I will pass your comments on to our team. I’m not sure what that Google link can do for the lesson page since that page requires a login. Is there some way to input login details?

Yeah it’s not testing a full lesson page but some of the same javascript files are loaded. They do have browser plugins Make the Web Faster  |  Google for Developers

Anyway, I think if you grab some of the low hanging fruit we’ll see some great speed benefits.