Oh man Iceland is such a small community

I add Icelandic to the platform and my cousin´s daughter immediately appears in the News feed LOL

16 Likes

I like that Icelandic and Armenian just popped up on LingQ. How can we know which languages are next and when they are coming out?

1 Like

I don´t work for LingQ so I couldn´t tell you. I knew Icelandic was going to be added and that it would likely be the first language added after version 5.0 came out, because I worked with LingQ to provide what was needed (I translated and read the mini-stories, with help from others I recruited, for example).

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! What were all of the things that they needed? Was/is there a specific list?

Also, not a LingQ employee, but the requirements as I understand them are:
All 60 Mini Stories w/ High Quality Audio
News Sources
Grammar Guide
Ideally additional content.

3 Likes

I first made the 60 mini-stories but then I was also asked for more stuff. This is what I provided as requested:

1. 60 mini-stories with translated texts and read audio which has to be of high quality
  2. Grammar guide
  3. Links to news websites
  4. Links to online dictionaries

Ideally they also like it if you provide additional material, especially if you can make the basic LingQ courses like Eating out, Greetings and goodbyes, Who is she etc.

8 Likes

So Iceland is the “Cheers” of the world?

2 Likes

If Iceland is the “Cheers” of the world? What is the Frasier of the world? :thinking::joy:.

1 Like

Hmm, so which country with a connection to Iceland is a lovable, yet pretentious know-it-all country ?

I don’t think I should try and answer.

What do you mean by grammar guide? Is that something that LingQ users actually see?

Open a language, preferably a “big” language like French, English, German etc. Click next to your user icon and there should be a link to it, close to where the link to your profile is.

1 Like

Interesting. I wonder why it’s not available for all languages since it needs to be provided in order to enable a new language.

1 Like

Because they sometimes change and add to the requirements to add a language. Some languages were added before there had to be 60 mini-stories or grammar guides etc.

1 Like

Did you intend for it to do that? It’s just that I’ve noticed a lot of cross-linking in LingQ with images from other sources.

Did I intend for LingQ to put that article in there? No. It has a news feed from a few news pages and this one just appeared in it. Again, it´s a small country, so you can see your relatives and old classmates etc. in the news sometimes.

1 Like

I´m even in the news myself sometimes.

3 Likes

So interesting :smiley: Well Persian has also a small community although it is spoken by about 90 millions people :stuck_out_tongue:

lmao

1 Like

It’s very cool! For me, Iceland is not only a country I really want to visit, but also a country that has always been interesting and impressive in the structure of its population and interaction, organization. I read a lot of useful information about the discourse community, you can click to read Discourse Community Essays at WritingBros and if I start to transfer it globally to the world, I immediately think of Iceland and its self-government.