Numbers shouldn’t count as known words

Numbers shouldn’t count as known words beyond 1-10 and any unique numbers that are not simply following the numerical pattern.

I know how to count from one to a million in Chinese but that shouldn’t count as knowing a million words in Chinese.

2 Likes

Just like with proper names and other similar words, it’s up to you. Either you count them, or you click “ignore”. For what it’s worth, I find it harder in some languages than others to memorize the numbers, so I ignore numbers in some languages but consciously LingQ and learn them in others.

6 Likes

I think new users place way too much emphasis on word count and what happens to the words that LingQ filters into the various pigeonholes (ignored, known, etc.) as we read. The system is self-correcting and it really doesn’t matter what LingQ counts as words.

The important thing is that you’re learning. The word count is meaningless - it’s not important. As Fabbol says, either mark numbers as known, or ignore them. Either way, it’s not going to make any difference at all to how quickly you acquire the language.

6 Likes

It’s the user’s prerogative if they want to count them or not. In many languages there are different words and patters for numbers even beyond 1-10, so to make such a blanket statement is not accurate.

In Spanish for example you have 1-10 but 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 are all distinct words. Then it changes the pattern at 16. 20 is an entirely different word as is 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100. 1000, 1000000, etc.

Also, frankly numbers don’t come up that much in content that one should worry one way or the other as pointed out by the other responders. Even if I counted every unique number that has come up in the content I’ve read, it’s maybe at best a few hundred. Even if it was a couple of thousand it’s hardly signicant in ones word count once they are in the advanced (LingQ) levels.

Really not something to worry about. Ignore them past 10 if you like. I’ve personally recorded mine where there is a significant difference in the words, much like what I described above for spanish. (although since I knew much of spanish before Lingq, I’ve tended to ignore all numbers with it)

2 Likes

I agree, and probably it is part of the process of learning this platform. This is why I usually suggest to try it for at least an entire year. At the beginning we have the tendency to spend more time in those details, and the more we progress the more we let them go.

If you have 80k known words, you don’t really care if you have a couple of thousands of names or other words. What you care is if you understand what you are reading, listening, and so on. Otherwise you keep adding until you reach your level of satisfaction.
Imho.

2 Likes

It depends, I thin leaving it up to the user to trash a word or count it as known is useful since there are so many languages and contexts where it may be hard to come up with one unified system.

3 Likes