Norse, Icelandic, Norwegian, etc

In my area (South West of England) the rural dialects would have come more from late Anglo-Saxon, I guess? These dialects have virtually died now - victims of education and mass-media. But one of my grandmothers (who died 17 years ago aged 99) sometimes used to say things like “du be” instead of “you are” when speaking to children…!

You know, this Dr Jackson Crawford guy is simply amazing - he’s effectively putting a whole college level education in Scandinavian Studies online for free (although he does invite voluntary contributions.)

Imagine if all academics did this! Who would even need universities? :smiley: Seriously though, I guess even his registered students can benefit greatly from these videos as a form of catch-up or revision. How the world has changed since I was a student!

(It’s also interesting to compare him to Alexander Arguelles. They have a kind of similar background - but Dr A sought his personal språk-valhalla by learning every language known to man, while this one remained disciplined and super-focussed on Old Norse-Icelandic-Norwegian-Swedish. Pretty impressive.)