Newbee.. Advice

Greetings, this is day one of me aiming to dig deep into Lingq and I want to set realistic goals for significant yet moderate growth. I have plenty of time to invest and am trying to utilize it. In my target language I have been intensively progressing in the language for 6 weeks using Assimil and Anki (new words and reviews). I am adding Lingq to be more dynamic in my learning. I am not an absolute beginner but I do learn things from the beginner lessons. I constantly try to push myself out of the routine of trying to remember lesson material and just read for the ideas behind the content as Mr. Kaufman teaches. I am trying to wrap my head around finding the right mix of challenge and interest to keep me engaged. I would really like to study with my own books (Spanish Novel) as my material , yet not neglect the many resources here: (besides they don’t come with audio).

How many lessons should I aim to do a day?
Should I just read and don’t think about memorizing words then just listen to them after the lesson.
How many times do you recommend I listen to a particular lesson (I know this is subjective( ¡Sin Embargo!))
Should I just read and go through the lessons like I go through any other book reading for ideas forget that I am hear studying a language (in that manner I may do ten lessons a day…Maybe)?

(I need a starting pattern to begin ling it could be generic. )

Well, there is no correct answer to your question, at least not that I know of. LingQ is a great place to learn and will go great with Assimil and Anki, which are also both excellent tools. Here are a few of my thoughts based on your questions.

“How many lessons should I aim to do a day?”

There is no good answer to this. It depends entirely on how much time you have to spend. If you only have 10 minutes a day, then I would say that you should do only one lesson per day. If you have 20 minutes, then you can choose between doing two lessons per day, or spending more time on each lesson and doing one lesson per day. If you have a few hours, I would say try to get through ten lessons per day or more. There is value in repeating lessons over and over and there is value in doing new lessons a lot. My only real tip is not to keep repeating a lesson once you are bored with it. If you are bored, move on to something new.

“Should I just read and don’t think about memorizing words then just listen to them after the lesson.”

That’s how I would do it. Remember, you are using Anki for memorisation already. You don’t need LingQ for that. Still, you can spend some time with the LingQ flashcards too if you can stand it.

“How many times do you recommend I listen to a particular lesson (I know this is subjective( ¡Sin Emba"rgo!))”

Listen as often as you can and as often as you want. Listen when doing the laundry. Listen when travelling to work. Listen whenever you can. In terms of how often you listen to a specific lesson, I would just say the same as I said for Question 1.

“Should I just read and go through the lessons like I go through any other book reading for ideas forget that I am hear studying a language (in that manner I may do ten lessons a day…Maybe)?”

I really don’t know. The moment you are reading and you forget you are studying a language is the moment you can be sure you are making some serious progress. Beyond that, I don’t know.

2 Likes

Have you thought of importing some chapters of your favourite novel into LingQ? (As long as it is for private use only, it is legal to do so even when using material still under copyright.)

Several of us occasionally copy whole pages by hand; handwriting does wonders … One member I know wrote out a whole book (he speaks several languages very well).

Apropos speaking, what are your plans about that?

Thank you very much…for your comment… I will take your wise words on this. It gives me a place to put my feet untill I can understand what I have gotten myself into… :slight_smile:

Yes, I do like the idea of this. In fact I want to do this… but I was not sure I was ready for it…but when I think about it (like now)… I feel that…only I can say if I’m ready or not…As I go through my lessons… I am building my confidence…I was just afraid, honestly, I didn’t know how I would particularly fair with it. However, your comment gives me a little more confidence to do it.