"New Words" Count

When I think I have finished all the lessons in a course, I return to the course and the list of lessons within. Each lesson in the list is shown with a count of “New Words”.

Often, I find that it says there are 1, 2, or 3 New Words for some lessons in the list.

However, when I click on a lesson, it shows 0 New Words for that lesson.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is this simply a bug?

Are these lessons that you’ve imported or lessons that are shared in the Library? Also, has the “Move all remaining blue words” button been clicked or is it still clickable within the lesson?

These are lessons I imported myself. I have never clicked the “Move all remaining blue words” button for any lessons.

UPDATE: At first I thought the blue button could not be clicked. I was wrong. Hence, the information below has been corrected since my initial reply.

For lessons that have a zero new word count within the lesson reader, but show a non-zero new word count in the list of lessons for the course:

(1) The “Move all remaining blue words” button at the bottom of the text in the reader is NOT clickable.
(2) However, there is a second occurrence of the “Move all remaining blue words” button that IS clickable.
(3) This second “Move all …” blue button is only visible when I press the “details” button for a lesson.
(4) Just above this second “Move all …” blue button, it shows a new word count equal to the number of claimed new words in the lesson list for the course.
(5) The number of new words shown next to the audio play area remains zero and no words in the text of the reader are blue at any time.

OK, thanks for the additional information on this. So if you click the button in the Details tab, does the New Words count update properly on the My Lessons page? Also, can you email me the link to one of these lessons so I can take a closer look?

Great - I just sent you an email with the details.

I have also seen this bug with lessons I’ve imported. I’m studying Chinese and typically see it when I insert manual spaces in the text to attempt to adjust LingQ’s automatic word recognition. As I repeatedly save and edit and save again the new word count starts to drift away from reality.

Thanks for your feedback on this, and thanks for the additional details via email, Anthony. We’ve now got this one on our list!

Please, Help me.
I open a lesson library and this lesson have words that I don´t know and never see, but don´t appear in blue.
Why this?
How can put this words that I don´t know in blue?
Thanks

@MEster - I wonder if you had previously marked these words as “Ignore”. You can’t turn words blue again, but instead you can save any words you don’t know as LingQs by highlighting them then clicking on them and saving them just like you save blue words.

@alex - I didn’t mark there words as “ignore”. I never saw these words in other text. It´s the first time. I´m seeing it. I don’t know what happened.

@MEster - I see, I’m not sure why this would have happened but if you notice this in future lessons let us know.

@Alex -“You can’t turn words blue again, but instead you can save any words you don’t know as LingQs by highlighting them then clicking on them and saving them just like you save blue words.”

I have noticed that when I do this for known or ignored words, the highlighted word is automatically selected but I am unable to get the user hints until I select another word, and then reselect the highlighted word. Instead, all I initially get are the options that I would get if no user hints for that word exited (i.e. Google Translate, Search Dictionary,…). I don’t know if this is intentional or a mistake, but it took me quite a while to figure out how to get the user hints.

@ColinPhilipJohnstone - I’m not sure why this happens but we will be sure to take a look into this.

EDIT: After some quick testing, it looks like it does show if you select the word, then click another word, then click back: http://screencast.com/t/jdTFv83cjBok

In the meantime, I’ve added this to our list :slight_smile:

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. It took me a while to realize how to get the user hints in such cases.