New Languages at LingQ: A Public Project

This is amazing work! I see punjabi is in there and has one translated story. I was wondering how this was accomplished?

It will refer to Scots (A distinct Scottish variant/dialect of older English (Angle + ish). Gaelic is usually referred to as Scottish Gaelic outside of Scotland in case there is confusion with Irish Gaelic which nowadays is nearly always referred to as Irish.

This is awesome! Possibly the best thread Iā€™ve seen here.
If we arenā€™t able to help with the language side, is there anything we can do to help get these filled out by people who do speak the language? I saw you mentioned crowdfunding, so maybe thereā€™s a way to put that together or to go onto Fiverr and pay like $5 for a native speaker to translate the 60 stories for a language, and then figure out how to get the audio for those stories? Maybe for the audio, we could help look for people on LingQ who speak the language and reach out to them to get them filled?

Hello - are there any plans for Pashto?
This is a very important language.

Is there any one working on Slovenian right now?

Is the list still up to date?
Which languages are ready to be added to LingQ?

Swiss German might also be a useful addition.

This is great! I was wondering about both Yiddish and Ojibwe, both of which are already on the list (albeit without any work done towards translations). I intend to connect with the speakers of these languages that I know and ask if they would be interested in contributing.

Thank you for putting this together. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see that Swahili is listed as ready on the sheet, but in fact it needs more content before it can be approved by LingQ.

Can we get the 60 Swahili Mini Stories on this? The translations and the audio have been given to LingQ, but they arenā€™t satisfied with the audio quality. I would love to use it anyway.

Iā€™m guessing here, but I expect that getting anything done on these languages is up to us as the community. This isnā€™t a project owned by LingQ, but us as users.

Perhaps someone reading this thread knows Swahili? Perhaps they would like to contribute?

Iā€™m not aware of the conversation being had with LingQ about the audio quality. For anyone wishing to contribute, I expect it would be helpful to be part of that conversation. Maybe someone else here has more information on that.

LingQ donĀ“t gain a ton by adding new languages at this point, since most of the most wanted ones are already in the system, so yes, itĀ“s up to the community to bring the smaller languages or the less sought after to study ones onto the platform.

What I needed to provide for LingQ to add Icelandic were the mini-stories, a grammar guide, links to news sites and links to online dictionaries. I also ended up becoming a librarian for them and finding some more material from other sources, as well as creating a bit of material myself.

The rejection of the Swahili mini stories has been discussed in other threads in the forum. Iā€™m starting to consider learning Swahili by immersion, brute forcing it until I magically understand. It is for fun after all. But if the mini stories are available I will use them.

Thats an awesome idea!

I am the Librarian for Luxembourgish and I just added there the 45 stories I have translated and recorded.

Congrats! Is there also a grammar guide? Than it would be possible to see Luxembourgish soon here on LingQ. Great news.

I am sure we can use some material available on the internet in English to create A1-A2 basic grammar knowledge. However, there were no volunteers helping me last year and I am not a Luxembourger myself, I am just someone that lives in the country and wants to help the community. =)

If anyone reading this comment is Luxembourger or has a Luxembourger friend willing to help please DM me.

God bless you. I really hope it comes to LingQ eventually. I donā€™t speak the language fluently (basic knowledge) and the textbooks we have and the teaching of the language in the country arenā€™t very goodā€¦ I think you know that well lol
If it comes to LingQā€¦ Iā€™ll die happy.

Luxembourgish would be very interesting, did you manage to create all 60 stories now?

Oh itā€™ll probably take them about five years to actually approve it.

So whatā€™s your mother tongue?

I guess that as long as the respective dictionaries are installed, some languages such as Swiss German, Afrikaans, Haitian Creole and possibly Galician, can be learned through their root languages, Afrikaans being based on Dutch, Creole on French and Galician having its closest roots in Spanish perhaps.