New Exchange Initiative

@u50623 - It looks like Serge has responded for more info and will get to it. It would be nice if more French speaking members would look at it. We need to figure out a better way of publicizing these posts and hopefully we will get a little more momentum too once people start using these features more.

Perhaps I should seek my answer in another place, but I would like to know, how do I learn at LingQ? Quite a while ago I think I remember someone writing in the forum that memorising texts is not the way to go. Now I am thinking that I should have been doing that all along instead of simply looking for the meaning in what I see and hear. Perhaps my memory is too poor to learn this way. I am at a loss for what to do.

I have tried resetting my German slot and starting again but the system does not allow me to do that. I get a blank blue screen every time I try. When I try reloading the page from the blue screen I simply get an error message and German is still there. I can delete other languages without any problem. Do I have to cancel my membership altogether and start all my languages and my subscription again?

Perhaps this message will get deleted because it is not encouraging to other members.

I am interested in how you got to 93,000 known words in German. It’s a pretty amazing statistic.

@Gingko
After 93k words, I refuse to believe you can’t speak German. Explain please.

Maybe your problem is “in your head.” Can you understand oral German? You just need to find someone patient to speak with, and you’ll be nearly fluent in a matter of months.

@Gingko - Sorry, we will be updating the help files today to explain the Exchange. You will only see the pie chart and error list for writing corrections and that should be visible when you review the list of Requests on the Exchange page. You can untick all post types on the Exchange page in the left sidebar and only leave Requests selected to see those posts better. All requests were being pushed to all members My Requests page but that will be fixed today. You will only see your own requests after that.

Regarding your experience with writing correction in German, that is too bad. I think your experience on the Exchange will be better as you should be able to get a wider variety of feedback now. Some of our tutors will be more detailed in their feedback and others more encouraging but on the Exchange you can leave your submission for a few days and it is publicly accessible so you should get feedback from multiple members. Give it another shot. Start simply and increase the complexity of your writing as you gain confidence. I see you have a large amount of Known Words so you should be fine once you hit your stride. Like anything else, you will get better at it by practicing. Looking at your statistics I would say you are definitely ready to write and speak and you will get better. I suspect you are a bit of a perfectionist and expect to be perfect when you start! The key is not to worry about being perfect. Just communicate. You will gradually get better. If you have done a lot of listening on LingQ, you should be very comfortable understanding your conversation partner and now it’s a matter of working on the output.

I would definitely not try to reset my German. You have done a ton of work on it and there is absolutely no need to reset. If you come across a word you can’t remember, just change its status to a lower one. Don’t be discouraged. Get back on that horse!

Regarding your question on how to use the site, it looks like you understand very well. Just make sure you are also doing lots of listening away from the site as well. Download your audio files and listen on the go.