New collection in the English Library: This is Your Brain on Scones

I have created an item; Tea Time and recorded it in my Estuary English accent and put it in the English library in the collection This is Your Brain on Scones. It’s the first time I have recorded anything so I’m still figuring out Audacity, but it’s clear if not perfect quality.

I will be adding to the collection over the rest of the week.

Do I get points for it and if so how do I claim them?

I meant to say: please e-mail me any feedback.

Hi Helen,

You will get points if people use your content. Every month we award any expired points from the system to our content providers. Points are awarded proportionately based on the popularity of a provider’s content. Popularity is determined by the number of times a provider’s items have been taken from the Library.

I’d better make them really interesting then :wink:

Hi Helen, it’s nice to hear your voice and I like your voice. I want to hear more from your accent :slight_smile:
But the sound is very bad. Can you try to get better quality? The recording is quit and a lot of noises.
The content is good because it contains a lot of useful words.
But what is Battenberg? I can’t find an explanation in different dictionaries.

For me, the voice is sharp enough, but it seems there was some external noise in the background.

Interesting contents, in my opinion the sound is not so bad. I also wish to know more about your accent.
Is “This is Your Brain on Scones” an idiomatic expression?

The best way to improve the sound quality is probably to record upstairs, I will work on that for the future and maybe then I will do the early recordings.

Battenberg is a kind of cake that is half pink and half white, see Battenberg cake - Wikipedia.

“This is your brain on scones” is my joke. “This is your brain on drugs” is a phrase from an old public information campaign warning us about the dangers of taking drugs. I don’t take drugs but I do love afternoon tea very much.

Scones are a sort of cake we eat with afternoon tea, see Scone - Wikipedia. My sister, who was a nurse, once told me that the spices that are baked into scones (cinnamon, nutmeg) are mood-altering drugs. Perhaps that, taken with the caffeine which is in tea, is why afternoon tea makes me so happy!

My accent is Estuary, which means I grew up near the river Thames. I went to school in Dartford in Kent. Mick Jagger came from the same town. My father speaks RP (standard English) and so can I when I am speaking carefully. My husband says that when I am excited or nervous (like in the interview with Steve, on http://thelinguist.blogs.com/how_to_learn_english_and/2008/08/learners-stor-1.html) then the Estuary accent becomes very strong.

Hi Helen, thank you for your explanations. I’ve looked at the German Wikipedia but next time I will take a look at the English Wikipedia to :wink:
For me it is difficult to hear a difference between your accent and Standard English. Can you tell me what the differences are?
I like your accent and I understand you well. It is quite different from American English but I like British English too!
I hope you will create more content.

If you listen to a lot of “standard” British English (so called “received pronunciation”) and compare it to samples of Estuary English, you will probably find intrusive r, glottal stops, l-vocalization, other diphthongs and more.

It’s hard to explain (in writing) what an accent sounds like. It’s best to hear it.

I tend to lengthen vowel sounds: saying “air” instead of “e” (e.g “lairt” instead of “let”)and “aaii” instead of “a” (“gaime” instead of “game”). I have some difficulty in voicing “ar” and “er” and tend to say “ah” and “eh” instead. Also “t” sounds in the middle of words can disappear (“ge’ing” instead of “getting”).

But in the recordings I’m speaking carefully, and as the article on British English notes, most English speakers sound more “RP” when they are taking care with pronunciation.

I have a lot of ideas for more content, I aim to create two or three new articles a week on subjects which are familiar to English/British people but maybe not to anyone else in the world.

I’m not competent to discuss “Welshness”, “Scottishness” or “Irishness” as I’ve never lived in those countries. I hope that LingQ learners from other parts of the UK and Ireland will create you some articles of their own explaining the regional and national differences to you.