Need one grammar explanation

Hi,

Can someone explain to me what is difference between these verb tenses, for example: I ran, I was running and I have ran?
When we use them in certain situation?

Thanks

I can give you example sentences and maybe explain a little.

I ran : " I ran to the shops. " / “How did you get here so quickly? I ran here” / “Everyday when I lived near the sea, I ran on the beach”
It’s a complete action, though can refer to repeated events e.g “Every day I ran on the beach” or events that have just taken place : " I ran here, just now"

I was running: “I was running when I saw something that made me stop.” , refers to action that is continuos or on-going, when another event happens.
Or: " at that time I was running a lot" (everyday for a number of days/months/years)“” = lots of separate events over a period of time.

I have ran / I have run: " I have ran in many races / I have run in many races" complete events, not in the recent past, sometimes they relate to things happening now = “I have run in many races, so I know lots about how to win” / “I’ve ran many times in this city, so I know the best roads”

Hope this is clear : / Maybe another native can give a better explanation

I’ve never heard of “I have ran”, but it might be a regional difference…

" I have ran" ???

I actually doubted my own native knowledge : /

At junior high school, I only learned the following rule regarding the verb “run”.
run (infinitive)-ran(past)-run(past participle)

maybe it is useful! ??

j;-)

I gave run just as example, I wanted to know general idea of how verbs are using in certain situations.
Thanks for your help :wink:

@Eimis144

Would it be useful if I made an audio lesson with some more examples and explanations for verbs in context ?

Lewis that is a great offer. If you are looking for inspiration you might steal a page from Albert and his Puntos de Vista stories in Spanish where he recites essentially the same story in different tenses.

I’ll take a look and see if I can put something similar together in the next few days then.

So it’s okay if I do a rough translation into english of those spanish texts? And record them as english lessons?

I would think so. You may want to check with Albert on his wall. We could then also put these translations in as a resources in the Spanish Library and of course the Spanish version as a resource in the English library.

@Maths,

Of course it would be useful :slight_smile: It’s kind of similar as AJ Hoge does on his lessons ‘‘Effortless English’’ he tells the same story in three different verb tenses. He calls it POV (point of view)

@maths Hi Lewis. From eavesdropping on your wall I see that you might be looking for a basic translation of Albert’s stories. I’m interested in doing that for fun if he’s okay with it and if you’d rather not rely on GT. The recording and the exact phrasing would be up to you (I’m not set up to make quality recordings anyway).

I have never heard of" I have ran" too… Thanks…

@snake46 I think “I have ran” is certainly wrong. Though in speech, in a contracted form “I’ve run” and “I’ve ran” both sound very similar when I speak. and somehow “I’ve ran” doesn’t strike my ear as sounding too wrong. : /

@kcb

I’ve roughly translated the first two texts, and have posted to Albert’s wall to ask his permission, as yet I’m still waiting on a reply from him, I’ll give it a day or two and then see.

I think you would only say “I’ve ran” or “I have ran” to say that you have already done something specific, for example, “I’ve ran through there before”. That’s the only way it sounds grammatically correct to me. But I’m not sure if you can say “I have run”, because you’re using a past context for a present participle, but that depends on your dialect, I think. There are places where people use “run” as the past tense.
But to say, “I/S/he ran”, you don’t need to have another verb. :slight_smile:

@MrsMime - Would you say “I’ve ran out of ideas”? I think the confusion comes about in hearing “I’ve ran” in place of “I ran”, with “I’ve ran” being wrong (I’d have to assume in all ‘dialects’). Also, in some ‘dialects’, people might incorrectly say “I’ve ran”, in which case it’s not that the listener is mishearing it as “I’ve ran”, but instead they have actually heard it! Perhaps a bit like, “I don’t have no time.”