My points are expired

What happens if you book conversations in slots in the middle of next month, say it’s March now and you book for April 15th… Your points don’t expire while those conversations are booked right?

Then what happens if after the great point migration at the beginning of the month you cancel that conversation that is booked for say April 15th… Would your points disappear?

The system looks at how many points you have used up net in the past 90 days. Points you have used up and then refunded cancel out so the system will still deduct the points. You may be able to extend the length of your points this way but you would have to cancel an existing session and book a new one right away to do so.

At the moment I’m only having conversations in two of my languages (Spanish and Portuguese). I’m sure I can find “convenient” times for the other languages as well, but it’s difficult to know whether I’ll be able to attend (irregular work hours, gigs, classes, and all other kinds of activities). A while ago somebody suggested “drop in” conversations (for those days when you realize that you have a spare hour). You can’t always trust the times offered by tutors either. I’ve had to change my plans a few times because of this, so now I’ve started to ask tutors beforehand to make sure that they’ll have time later “this week” even if the schedule says they have.

Jeff, out of curiousity. How many languages would you say you ‘speak’?

Part of the trouble for tutors is that they put up times and then no one signs up. We are looking at what we can do to make things better.

“Jeff, out of curiousity. How many languages would you say you ‘speak’?”

Whenever I’m asked that question I usually reply “Swedish and English”. I can manage some German and Spanish (provided that I have some control of the topic).

Steve wrote on March 21, 2011:
“We are looking at what we can do to make things better.”

Are there any improvements planned in the near future in the speaking section?

I have seen the plans but I do not know how far along we are. I am in London right now and will be back home tomorrow. There are many things on our list.

If you haven’t used your points in 3 months you probably wont use them in the near future. Just go out and buy and/or earn more. Also this is a nice reward for content providers. I think the fact that points expire is a win-win situation for all of us. Content providers, The LingQ company. The only problem is the disappointment in the person losing the points. But hey just think next time you earn points you’ll know to use them quick and it will encourage you to get on LingQ and do some work.