My new LingQ learning strategy idea

Yup. You move on when you get bored or just want to. the most frequent words will keep coming up. In fact, you’ll also find that you have already learned many words you previously LingQed even without consciously studying them. For example, I have over 40,000 lingqs created. I know several thousand of them, but I haven’t moved them to “known” or “4” because I haven’t consciously reviewed them.

你好,学弟。

I believe what ZebulonJ said about context was the most valuable piece of advice so far, 你一定得把它铭记在心。Your new study idea is great, and shows you know how to adapt to your changing learning situation. I have two tools to recommend:

1. Elbow grease: do you practice writing characters much? If not, definitely give it a shot. In the beginning my characters were absolute trash and my hand wouldn’t obey my orders, but now they look pretty slick, and it turns out writing them also boosted my character recognition by a hell of a lot. When you write, the memory of the characters stays in your fingers too. And if you get really good at it, you can eventually make some cool calligraphy and give it as gifts to mom and dad and other people. That’s my plan… it’ll save me a lot of money on birthday and Christmas presents, hehe.

2. Pleco: there’s a dictionary app out there called Pleco, and it has been THE most powerful tool for me on my Mandarin journey, 千真万确!Go download and play with it a bit, you’ll see what I mean. Now I’m to the point where it’s not really necessary anymore, but Pleco (on my smartphone) used to be my constant companion, kind of like a magic translating device you’d read about in a science-fiction novel or somesuch. Normally I wouldn’t be caught dead phubbing, but in the pursuit of knowledge and communication with humans, pulling out the smartphone is a legit move.

好好学习天天向上!

Thank you. I might try out writing. I think though I will just do reading for now.

Cool. Whatever floats your boat. Reading more is definitely more important, I kind of just use writing as a memory supplement. I don’t practice it often, which is why even though my characters look decent, I write about 50 times slower than any normal educated Chinese person :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t re read at all. Just keep reading things around the same Level as much as you can. Reseeing a Word in different content will help a lot more than re reading it in the same boring context.

I reread articles a lot in the beginning phases, but once a get to a few thousand words I almost never read or listen to anything more than once (except for conversations). I find that important words tend to repeat themselves. And seeing the words in many different contexts makes them easier to remember.

The beginner content I read and reread many times over. For example Who Is She has a number of entries sitting at 5x read for me.

Since then I’ve tended to read almost everything twice. I get more from it the 2nd time around. If I feel it’s really good content - being the sentence structure, topic, grammar and such is right where I’m at for language learning then I’ll read it a 3rd or 4th time.

Since using LingQ I’ve never reviewed words via flashcards, nor focused specifically on learning any particular ones. I do pick out words or phrases I’d like to try use when I write or speak … so I guess that could be considered reviewing words.

I’ve always thought that reading fresh text is very important. Not just for exposure to new words, but for the exposure to new sentence structures and ways of phrasing things. As such I make sure to break new ground by reading completely new content.

Initially my concerns were that if I didn’t specifically focus on learning the words, my acquisition of new words would drop dramatically after a few hundred of the most common words. However it has not panned out that way. I am still steadily acquiring new words.

So I would say: give it a whirl! Try moving on a lot sooner. I cannot say that it will be better than what you have done with any certainty because I have not tried focusing so much on learning the words in any given lesson as you have.

However I can say that from time to time I do revisit old lessons just for interest’s sake. I’ve pleasantly found that some of them which were once difficult to work through I can now almost free-read because I have picked up so many of the words contained in them during the intervening months.

Will this always be the case? Maybe not. Maybe I’ll reach a point where the words I need to learn are uncommon enough that focusing on them becomes the most prudent way (possibly only way?) to learn them. However that situation seems to be quite a ways off from where I sit now.