My Little Back Seat Driver

Hi my name is Kimberly and I have a four year old son. The other day as we were driving in the car we stopped at a red light, my son said in a very irritated voice, “Mommy just go”. I told him, “Seth I can’t, I need to wait for the light to turn green”. As soon as the light turned green, I started to go and Seth said in a very hurried voice, “Ok mommy you can go now.” It was quiet for a couple minutes and then I asked him, “Seth, would you like to take over driving”? And he said with a long sigh…ok.

Cute. My daughter’s issue with my driving now is when the light is green, but I am not moving (for example, trying to make a left turn). She goes crazy.

Thats funny. When this happened he actually started to take his seatbet off to come in the front seat with me. He thought I was gonna really let him drive.

Tables will be turned when Seth starts to get his own drivers’ licence! My parents are terrible back seat drivers (though they usually take the bucket seat, to be honest).

Yes thats true. Then he will get a taste of his own medicine. But hopefully he will grow out of it. :slight_smile:

Good episode and he is cute! Please don’t leave your son and key in the car. If you have time, please record those daily life episode and put it in the English library. I would like to listen to funny and good episodes in English.

The only time my son has taken an active interest in driving was when he was two and my husband had to stop suddenly and nearly rear-ended the car in front.

“Bugger!” he shouted (a word he only uses under great stress).

There was a thoughtful silence from the back, then we heard a little voice thoughtfully repeating:

“Buh-guh! Buh-guh!”

all the way home.

In this country, bugger isn’t a swear word. We seem to have forgotten its original meaning. Now it’s quite a comical expression, especially after it was used on an advertisement for the Toyota Hilux, in which a Border Collie falls into a muddy puddle and mutters ‘bugger’. That’s what I think of when I hear it.

Thank you. That was a funny story about the word “Bugger”. I do try to take alot of pictures and video of hm but I never thought of recording episodes of him in the library. Thats a good idea thankyou.

Sorry to lower the tone,but people keep asking about this:

“Bugger”, while old-fashioned, is still in common use in Britain and is still considered obscene. It is a marvellous word, as it manages to be offensive and genteel at the same time. I can imagine the Queen using it, even the Archbishop of Canterbury, under moments of great stress. You can use it in the following phrases:

Bugger me! (surprise)
bugger off (go away)
you stupid bugger (foolish person)
let’s not play silly buggers (let us not waste time)
Oh bugger, I nearly rear-ended that car.

I heard the very mild-mannered and well-spoken Hugh Laurie, on an American chat show, use the expression “Bugger me!” to express his surprise at his new celebrity status. He was bleeped and the producer had words into the host’s headphone. The host (apparently a Scot) then said, “No Hugh, you REALLY can’t say that word on American TV. I know what you meant but…just don’t go there, OK?” Being Hugh Laurie, he then spent the next couple of minutes apologising :slight_smile:

Er…I mean Hugh Laurie did the apologising. Cos he’s that sort of guy.

That’s funny:) I hope I am not out of place in saying this, but its interesting how some words in English our a bad word in another language. There is a word my husband does’nt want our son to say because it means a bad word in Spanish.