My language learning diary

I want to let you know that I started my 90day Challenge for French and set aside Finnish for that period of time. I decided to do this because I feel stuck in the same place for too long. Beginner 2 content is too easy for me and Intermediate 1 is too hard. I’m changing my approach, meaning that I will apply some techniques of the best polyglots and try to meet all of my targets, for ex. I didn’t really listen a lot to content, and that is going to change.

Another thing which I wanted to say is that I think that a gathering of people who took challenge is missing. I mean, something like a group, in which participants could communicate.

P.S. At the end of the challenge I want to be able to have my first 15 minutes conversation.

Hello. I already know the basics of French language, but that’s all (almost). The problem is that I cannot find a lot of content for me. My level is approximately Beginner 2 to Intermediate. Do you have any recommendations concerning what I should study? Some guided courses, perhaps?

Don’t get constrained by levels: I occasionally take some Beginners’ courses in the library: Miss_Take, Marianne and Serge have provided so many useful lessons and then there are their other courses to look forward to. My advice is to swap and change: vary your approach by working at different levels. It is much more interesting and stimulating that way.

Edited for typo (I am beginning to believe that there is an auto-correction facility here which makes the most stupid mistakes :slight_smile: I do not usually get their and there mixed up!!

I have issues with making language learning a daily task, but I still try to make it work. I also don’t believe that I will complete 90 Day Challenge. However, I am happy (très heureuse) because of something that happened to me while listening to a French song(Manau - La Tribu de Dana - Lyrics/Paroles - YouTube), to which I didn’t listen for a while, and now I understand it much, much better! I was shocked when I realized that. :slight_smile:

I noticed that my Activity Score is decreasing progressively. :frowning: and my progress is not something to brag about either. I got to get on my feet as soon as possible. I will do some things to boost my motivation and try easier lessons today because I realized that the lessons which I take are too hard and that demotivates me.

(I like)…

How’s your Finnish studies? Sometimes you need to take a break from one language and try something else, and after the break you notice that you understand much better than before. The brain needs a rest too!

Thanks for your kind advice! It’s really good! I will take a break some other time, when I start to understand French to a certain extent. Maybe in a month or two and then I will get back to Finnish.

Edit: Don’t take my word for it, though, because I don’t know for certain what my decisions will be in the future.

I like cribbe’s approach and attitude. Copying dialogues by hand is something I’ve never done but have been thinking about starting. Wondering if you just copy them out once (and do you anything with them after that)? Since I’m signed up with Germanpod101 I was thinking maybe of writing out dialogues based on the audio (i.e. pausing then writing down a line, playing then pausing etc) in order to practice listening at the same time.

I like it, too. I copied dialogues by hand when I learned Finnish, and I will do that when I continue learning it.

I’ve been testing many different approaches. Best for me, right now, is to read a sentence, then try to write it on a paper without looking on the original. You can choose to write a lot or to focus on a smaller number of sentences. I´m pretty sure the best is a mix, as always.

How’s your learning going?

I discovered a good way to cope when the lesson is a bit to hard, first create the lingq and review them once with flash cards (before reading). The next day, review them again than go to the reading itself. I did this myself and I am being able to pick up intermediate 1 from time to time without majors difficulties.

Bonjour!
J’aime le finnois, mais parmi les langues finno-ougrienne, je trouve l’hongrois beaucoup plus intéressant. Déjà parce que certains de mes idoles en mathématiques et dans la recherche scientifique sont d’origine hongroise (Pál Erdős, John von Neumann, János Bolyai, etc), et aussi parce que j’ai le béguin pour une nana hongroise en ce moment! :smiley:

Malheureusement l’hongrois n’est pas sur la liste des langues sur lingQ! :cry:

Bonne chance en tout cas!

Concernant le sujet principal, je suis d’accord qu’après un moment donné ça devient un peu fastidieux, et on a besoin d’un peu de changement pour garder le même niveau de motivation. C’est ce que je compte faire après que j’atteigne mon premier objectif en allemand (15.000 mots connus sur lingQ). Là je reviendrais à la langue roumaine, et après probablement j’essaierais d’améliorer mon japonais, ou peut-être revenir à l’allemand, qui sait. Parallèlement je compte commencer à apprendre un peu l’hongrois.

Glossika language courses use that technique, by the way. In the GSM side. I’ve been only trying out the GSR files though.

Merci! Je veux apprendre l’hongrois en futur aussi. Je viens d’une ville qui a 1/3 de la population hongroise.

I think it’s going well. :slight_smile: I’m learning often and I make words “Known” quicker and quicker. Thanks for asking!

Ah! Moi-même je vis en Transylvanie où 25% de la population est hongroise.

I do the similar thing. I cope with them with creating the lingQs, then review them, and then proceed to read and listen, and then just listen.