My DREAM UI - WIN/WIN: this is my wish for the reading/listening UI (including a mockup)

I have spent way to much time in MS Paint trying to demonstrate the changes I consider to be a potential important improvement.

The issue:
Currently, there are three different text views, which each have their own advantages, but none of them combine the best of all of them.

My suggestion combines the three text views into a single view. Please see the attached image below.

A big issue for me is that I like to read and listen at the same time, BUT
– 1) Often the timestamps of the audio don’t match, so I can’t use the sentence mode playback button.
– 2) The sentence mode playback is full speed
– 3) The play button is very very small, leading to lots of mis-clicks and frustration.
– 4) There’s no visual indication of which phrase the audio is at in relation to the part of the text that is on my screen.
– 5) I have to open another UI view mode to change audio speeds.
– 6) I have to press pause, then -5 sec, then play, many many times during reading/listening.

How I read:
I like to read and listen at the same time. I like to listen/read at a slow speed, so I have more time to hear the nuances in pronunciation, and I have more time to pay close attention to the words.
When I have created LingQs for a phrase, then I like to rewind and hear that phrase again, now that I understand the words.
So the flow goes like this:

1. Press play
  2. I hear/read sentence
  3. Quickly press pause (often mis-clicking the small button, so the next sentence is being read, while my brain was expecting playback to be paused).
  4. Press blue words, create LingQs.
  5. Press “5 second rewind”.
  6. Press play
  7. Read/listen to the sentence again, and let it continue into the following (new) sentence
  8. repeat.

So basically I read/listen to most sentences twice - creating LingQs in between the first and second reading.

Current sentence in the new UI suggestion:
In my suggestion, the current sentence is highlighted clearly in the middle, and a large font. This is useful for me because I have a certain use-case:

• I like to re-read/re-listen to lessons while I’m on my bicycle (on a long, wide, and empty cycle path - I live in Europe). I always put safety first. I like to mount my phone on my handlebar. So while I’m listening, the narrator might say a word that I don’t remember. Then I like to look down on my screen to see that word (which is often enough for me to remember the word).

Here is a representation/mockup of my suggestion, and some notes on how it combines the best of the three existing view modes:

(Right-click and press “open image in new tab” to see a large version - or simply go to https://i.imgur.com/JubleCz.png)

I have put lots of thought into this suggestion.
In fact, it’s based on lots of frustrations, which have sadly lead me to use LingQ less and less.
I sincerely hope the team at LingQ will give this suggestion some consideration.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

8 Likes

I went a different way and use macros.
In a browser not the app, you can use key to make things happen.
An ebay macro keyboard or the Logitech G604 mouse can be used to make several things happen with one click. Lots of messing trying to get it all to work though.
It’s possible to use sentence mode and with one click (or maybe 3),
1 go to next sentence
2 show translateion
3 play the audio. I use text to speech as it’s quick, decent and says what’s on the screen.
It would be good if they built this triple functio in. [ @Zoran?]
Cheers.

1 Like

I have just realized that I forgot to add the loop button to my mockup. I use the loop audio feature a lot, so I would definitely prefer to have that button available too.

In the long run I would love to see an A-B loop button for longer lessons. That would let me loop a specific part of a lesson audio, to be played on repeat.

Great write up!

Thanks for spending time to write this and share your feedback and suggestions. It’s much appreciated. I’ll forward this to our development team.

2 Likes

“3) The play button is very very small, leading to lots of mis-clicks and frustration.”

Note: I really like lingq and I think the desktop version is very good. It has a few rough edges and a few questionable design decisions, but what doesn’t? (forced lingqing, can’t make a word blue again and default auto-lingqing on page turn, I’m looking at you… I know I’m not alone on this). So I feel bad complaining.

The android app’s playback controls are either difficult and very annoying, or there’s something obvious I’m just missing, cause god forbid you tap one pixel off of dead center of the back 5 seconds button and you get kicked out of full text view and dumped into sentence mode. As far as I can tell there’s no way to get back to full text view without stopping the audio. Am I missing something here? This can happen a dozen times just listening to one lesson, I probably mis-tap as often as I do a correct tap (maybe I press back 5 sec too much, but I’ve had this habit for years now, way before I started with lingq. I find the back 5 seconds very useful).

Also, copying words to the clipboard in the app seems to be impossible. I need to copy the title of the lesson because I keep track of what what lessons I do each day in a spreadsheet, because I have my own system of reviewing lessons so I have to know what I did each day… The segmenter in Chinese is terrible on a good day, sometimes up to half of what it thinks are words aren’t words, so I generally do a quick copy and paste into a dictionary or two on anything that looks questionable (I realize I’m probably the only person bothered by this… I’ve found using a different segmenter helps quite a bit, but that’s only useful for lessons I import). Sometimes copying a sentence into google translate is also useful, but it’s not possible in the app.

The way we use lingq also depends on your level in a language and just preference. I mean, it’s the first time I hear people are using it while riding a bicycle lol.

For me personally, I love the wall of text and I would prefer an option to have the play button etc entirely gone. The more text I have, the more I can read without touching the screen. Bigger problem for me is getting the letters so small that I can fit as much as possible on the screen, while keeping it easy to touch words I don’t know (now many times I misclick on a word above or below). Of course, if you’re at a beginner stage, I get your point and yours seems much better.

1 Like