Multiplication table

I have some suggestions. I don’t know whether there is a multiplication table or not. I haven’t met among lessons yet. And I think it would be great to listen to this table in foreign language. Of course, we all know these simple operations in mathematics. But it will be extremely effective to listen to these tables(10x10, 12x12 or 15x15) in a regular or accelerated speech because we already have knowledge about these operations. In brain already has neuron connections to adept to the mathematical operations. And I believe if such lessons are here they definitely will help learners.

not a bad idea - more so for bookkeepers.

you could also add the fibonacci 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21 and so on and what we call in french les nombres premiers 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13 ,17, 19 and so on

Can someone add such lessons? I would be happy.

Pierre, Fibonacci numbers also good idea.

… a good idea.

Yes not a bad idea. “Prime numbers” that second sequence is called. In fact, lessons in general about maths would not hurt at all, often the ways of expressing mathematical ideas are quite tough to translate, you’re pretty stuck unless you have a foreign friend/teacher to simply tell you.

Nasir, you could make a little document with multiplication tables, number sequences and whatever else you want, then put it on “rhinospike”, and hopefully someone’ll record it.

I would do it myself, but my “wma to mp3” free software just ran out, I’m trying audacity but it doesn’t seem to make mp3s, when I figure it out I can get back on rhinospike.

This is a really interesting idea. I usually have problems remembering words for numbers in other languages (it takes me ages), so maybe ‘attaching’ them to something, like a multiplication table or a series of prime numbers, could aid the learning.

I am going to prepare the multiplication table, prime number sequence and other mathematical "puzzle"s as text.
But I have a question. How should it be read in English: two times two equal(s) four or in any other way?

Here in the UK it’s two times two is four, most of the time; you also hear makes four and sometimes equals four.

Perhaps someone with young children at school might have the definite answer?

3×1=3 san-ich ga san
3×2=6 san-ni ga roku
3×3=9 sazan ga kyuu
. . .
3×8=24 san-pa nijuu-shi
3×9=27 san-ku ni-juu-(s)hichi

I’ve created the multiplication table as text and put it on Rhinospike. Please, someone recite this one in English. RhinoSpike : English Audio : The multiplication table(15x15) Next will be the prime number sequence.

May I also suggest a more difficult version? Say the multiplication fact , then pause a bit so that the listener can try to think of the answer before hearing it…

I have read that calculating in a foreign language is rarely learned…that people almost always default to their native tongue when it comes to doing mental calculations. I suppose it’s different, of course, if you studied arithmetic in the second language. Experiences, anyone?

Mental calculations are automatically done in German in my case. At a pinch, I could make an effort and do them in English, but it really would be an effort.

I just remembered that Marianne has got some lessons about numbers in the French library, but nothing as extensive as Nasir’s project. It would be very interesting to have it in all sorts of languages.

Recently I took a guided walking tour of Antigua, Guatemala. The guide spoke in Spanish, giving lots of dates and historical information. Spanish is by far my strongest “second language”, so I understood practically everything, including the dates, while he was saying it. Two seconds later, however, any date had slithered right out of my mind. Apparently I have no mental Spanish date-pegs to hang them on.

Numbers are very difficult to learn in another language because they are so hard wired in our own language. I encourage content creators to do content items with numbers.

One excellent example of such content is the series that I think Ana Paula did in Portuguese where she had groups of 5 or 10 numbers and recorded them scrambled, i.e. the recording did not match the sequence of the numbers, so you had to look for them in the the group . Then she recorded them in sequence.

I’ve received one response in American accent for my audio request for the multiplication table. Can I add to the English library?

You can do it if you have the permission of the speaker.

We have the permission of Rhinospike to use their recordings at LingQ.

I’ve shared lesson and hope not to hear the copyright claim.

the lesson :(((

See collection:

I’ve been creating many lessons like these. Please, someone translate into various languages(I expect in Russian impatiently :slight_smile: )