Mission impossible?

Tony Blair has said it is his “mission” to persuade Britons to “rise up” and change their minds on Brexit.

Speaking in the City of London, the former prime minister claimed that people voted in the referendum “without knowledge of the true terms of Brexit”.

He urged “a way out from the present rush over the cliff’s edge”.

Former Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith said the comments were arrogant and undemocratic but Lib Dem Nick Clegg said he “agreed with every word”.

Former UKIP leader Nigel Farage said Mr Blair was “yesterday’s man” while Downing Street said it was “absolutely committed” to seeing Brexit through.

Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson added: “I urge the British people to rise up and turn off the TV next time Blair comes on with his condescending campaign.”

Tony Blair has another agenda entirely. It has nowt to do with Brexit and everything to do wth regaining control of the British Labour Party - which has been taken over by the far-left.

(Note his timing - just a week before the Stoke-on-Trent by-election! His intervention could hardly be more damaging for Labour as they desperately try to cling on to this constituency that heavily voted for Brexit in the referendum!)

Yeah, that makes sense.

Isn’t Mr. Blair busy planning another illegal invasion?

Not with Trump though, which would be almost impossible.

But he deeply believes on EU, too.

So do most of the current Labour MPs. Yet the vast majority of them just voted for Article 50 to be triggered!!

The reason for this bizarre state of affairs? Well, about two thirds of Labour’s voters backed Brexit! Given that Labour are already more than10 points behind the Conservatives in the polls, they can’t afford to spit right in the face of their core vote - it would mean total meltdown!

Blair well knows Article 50 is irrevocable. What he is doing is cynical internal Labour politics. His centrist brand of Labour are absolutely determined to oust Corbyn and his hard-left followers, and regain control of their party.

BTW This comment from John Rentoul (a respected centre-ground political commentator, and somewhat of an admirer of Tony Blair) is quite interesting:

“…The paradox of the former prime minister’s speech is that, while it was important and the opposite of undemocratic to have someone make that argument and to make it well, it is not obvious that it is the right argument for the official Opposition to make. Indeed, if a young Tony Blair were a Labour MP now I think he would have voted for the Brexit bill last week, and I think he would now be running for the Labour leadership on a platform of trying to make Brexit softer, rather than one of trying to reverse it…”

Note how Rentoul also says in the article that losing the by-elections would be “the best thing for Labour” (because for Labour to lose heartland by-elections when in opposition would be virtually unheard of in the UK, and would very likely torpedo Corbyn’s leadership!)

So I remain of the view that Blair’s latest intervention was cynically calculated to damage Labour one week ahead of these forthcoming ballots. The timing simply can’t be accidental, in my opinion.

Strong words, indeed.