Migration to New Forum Infrastructure

@davideroccato it should work now. Could you check it, please?

2 Likes

@stasvovk this is just a test:
It seems to work now. Screenshot below.

2 Likes

@ericb100: Iā€™d like to import an entire thread into LingQ actually. Because importing single posts is a bit inconvenient but importing an entire thready could be very useful.

1 Like

Itā€™s a bit weird the way you could like a post. It seems that if you look at the replies, you cannot ā€œlikeā€ them because there is no heart displayed, or anything else.
But if you click the arrow on the top right, you go directly to the individual reply and can ā€œlikeā€ them. But you get a bit lost on where you are.

1 Like

The only issue Iā€™m having using the forum for the first time is that I canā€™t effectively see ā€œall posts.ā€ On the old forum I never had to click into any subcategories to scan for new posts. They were just there on the main page. Now when I click ā€œall categoriesā€ I have to wade through lots of foreign language posts. I know me, and clicking into each subcategory is enough friction to keep me from following the forum posts closely going forward.

1 Like

That threw me off a bit too. I believe that will be the ā€œEverythingā€ link on the left side. However, I think some posts from some of the more specific language forums mustā€™ve had some updates from the transition that threw them near the top of the list and pushed down many of the posts that we wouldā€™ve expected to see. Iā€™m assuming that after a bit of time this will start looking more normal as more people start posting again.

3 Likes

Although I agree with some of the criticisms mentioned by others (mainly less integrations with LingQ aka not being able to click on someone in the forum and see their LingQ stats), I think this will be a good change. This new forum software has a lot of improvements and functionality over the previous software. Namely, the ability to mention people, have longer nested threads, less performance issues in longer threads, and a forum notification system that works flawlessly (the LingQ ā€œnotificationsā€ would sometimes miss some forum notifications and not properly mark things as ā€œReadā€). As with any big change, this will have a learning curve and take some time to get used to.

5 Likes

So can I completely just COLLAPSE the tab down bit on the left? Collapse it completely. Itā€™s too busy now with the new layout.
Actually can I do the same for the dated scroll window on the right too?

Also is the window showing my typed reply meant to open the option to shift it into another language I assume?

I could not disagree more, I despise Discord. The CEO of it I am not a fan of given where Discord is being paid from and would be a definite privacy concern for all here. If you use Discord better use it with a VPN, DPN or even Tor or Tails.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Likes from posts did not carry over to the new forum. As I see it, likes are the opinions of thousands of people, you can not throw them away.
Please try to move them too.

Otherwise, a great improvement. The old forum was unbearable in some ways.

2 Likes

Do you mean the window to the right of the window you are typing in? I believe that is just a preview window to show how your ultimate reply will look with the markdowns taking effect. For example, mark a word as bold in lefthand side and youā€™ll see the markup surrounding the word. On the right is the preview of what it will look like after submitting.

Where is the leader board for different langauges? top ten all time etc.

There is a ā€œhamburgerā€ menu icon on the very top left of the browser window. When I click it, it hides the menu on the left.

Somebody mentioned it is in the ā€œWriting Exchangeā€ area. I checked and I see those there as well.

Ah good, I found it too after googling, an 8 year old post showed up. I must say this site is great but so hard to navigate. What would be really great is if the language leaderboards had a proper page because it is so small. And some kind of site map.

1 Like

Weā€™ll see what we can do about transferring those Likes.

3 Likes

Iā€™m new to the platform and I thought we were going to move to a different forum. The message is unnecessarily sarcastic.

1 Like

Apologies. No offense intended.

1 Like

I can still see it. Do you mean the headings will still show up even collapsed?! Too busy.