Making words known with varying spelling

This question will not apply to all or even most languages but in czech there are two registers of speech. Proper literary czech or spisovná čeština and common street czech or obecná čeština. The problem is that the obecná čeśtina form is also heavily used in literary text as a signifier of casualness or youth or lower education.

I am trying to catch this deviant spelling forms and ignore them, since I am sure that I have saved most of them already in the standart spelling and I dont want to inflate my known word count but it is becoming a bit tedious to look out for this. How would you deal with this? Should these words qualify as new known words since learning the language to a high degree ultimately means to know all variations of a word as they can be used in all walks of life or would you pay attention to only make the proper word form known?

examples of differences

ý to ej
malý- malej

é to ý
žadného-zadnýho

v infront of an o
okno- vokno

missing l in the end of past time verbs
řekl jsem- řek jsem

I am thinking that I should maybe loosen up about this and save all forms of the words instead of wasting energy on concentrating on what to ignore on the page, because you can always encounter both variants in real life and authentic materials.

Mark them all! Sometimes it feels silly, but if I go through a text and a word appears many many times (15+) I’m still not marking it as known, and I mark every form of it that I encounter. I don’t bother getting the nuances correct, but just the general ballpark for it’s meaning. This way, you’ll have that meaning available to refresh if you don’t recognize it next time. To me, it’s the whole point of using the LingQ system. If you really think you know it, then just let it go into your known words and don’t sweat it. Remember, the known words count it mostly there to give you an estimate and make your progress more tangible. The real benefit is being able to read without having to go back to the dictionary for every subsequent encounter with a word.

That’s my opinion on it :smiley:

To give you an example of what I do:

도끼 = axe

금도끼 = gold axe

은도끼 = silver axe

쇠도끼 = iron axe

Notice that it’s all the same word (도끼), but in Korean the type of axe literally makes it a different word. These forms can all change in SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many ways, but I still marked every single one of them in the story because I don’t know what context they’ll come up in next time. I don’t even think I’m very likely to convert these into known words until I read a ton more, think millions!! :stuck_out_tongue: I know that they’re all sitting in my Lingqs. Maybe this kind of thing would help you negate this “inflation” of known words as well?

I also will generally ignore place and people’s names, but if they have historical significance, I like to put that into my hint for all forms of the LingQ instead of ignoring them all. Again, most of these don’t end up as known words, but I like to have the info available for me through the simple 1 click at a later time.

1 Like

Save them all. Don’t worry about it. The stats are for you…not for others =).

In general, I think anyone who does LingQ long term is capturing all forms of words, so if you’re looking to compare against those others it probably makes sense to count them all.

Only things I don’t count are proper names–people’s names, city names. sometimes I might save a particular city or location or landmark to keep familiar with certain things from the area that I might not recognize at first glance. These really don’t add much to the count though.

Yes, I never save proper nouns like the names of places and people but I am starting to mark the spelling variants of common czech as known as well instead of ignoring them.

Up until now, I have perceived them as just not proper. The same words like the dictionary form but with wrong spelling. The more of the language I consume the more I notice that these are just as an integral part of the language as all its other features and fullfill a valuable function: to indicate a change of register in tone. Therefore these forms must be learnt just as any other form and deserve to go into the known word count.