Major flaw for such a great site

Hello,

I a little bit about me first, I lived in Germany with the army for two years and pick up a lot of German, I would say am about 1/2 fluent in the language.So anyway, I came here to finish it and become as fluent as possible, but a major flaw I see in, at least the German LingQ, is when you lingQ a word, it gives you the definition of it in that context, which is good, but what if you want to start making your own sentences out of these words? You have to relearn the basic word and if there is, also the gender also. For example one that turned my head was eingeladen, which is the past tense for visit, ok so if I was a person learning the language from scratch not knowing any German, and wanted to make a sentence more than liking I am going to be saying, Ich eingeladen or eingelade das Haus. Which is not correct. If this makes no sense to anyone than disregard, but I myself cannot use the LingQ button for vocabulary. If you want to be able to use the language you have to know, for lack of better terms, the “base meaning” of the word, for example to refer back to eingeladen, it would be einladen. The same goes for the gendering. I know there are ways to figure it out on the site, but it is extreme time consuming, and for a new person learning I think they would get discouraged very quickly.

Welcome to LingQ. A few comments in reply to your post.

1. It is not possible for LingQ to satisfy all the language learning needs of each individual student in all languages. One of the key dynamics of LingQ is that we offer many languages, and that people all over the world help each other learn in many different ways. Being multilingual has many advantages but may have some disadvantages for individual languages.

2. The definition you get from our present default dictionary is not, in fact, context related. The dictionary we currently use gives the following general explanation for eingeladen.

eingeladen

adj. invited, asked to be present, having received an invitation

einladen
v. invite, request the presence of; load, pack with cargo

The dictionary also provides the article for all nouns, (der, die, das), making it obvious what the gender is. Some learners will prefer other dictionaries better suited to their native language, the language they are learning and their own learning style. We will soon make it possible for learners to customize the dictionary to suit their needs.

1. At LingQ we believe in the importance of input, lots of input, before attempting to make sentences. If a learner saves many words and phrases, and listens to a lot of content, he or she will build up the familiarity with the language and the vocabulary that will, in time, enable him or her to speak.

2. We also recommend that learners make contact with their tutors, even at an early stage. Most of our tutors speak English, as well as other languages, and can help help learners over initial problems with LingQ and with the language they are learning.

3. I also suggest that learners buy a small grammar or starter book for any language they want to study, with explanations in their native language. This is a good way to get over the initial strangeness of the language, and to refer to from time to time. However, the most effective learning will be achieved by following the LingQ method, doing a lot of listening, reading and reviewing of vocabulary.

Good luck.

Steve,

I stand corrected.