Lucy has just ruined her new dress. That's children for you

I don’t really understand the second sentence. Does it mean “children are like this”?

Yes, yes it does.

1 Like

Is that common to say that? I mean use the sentence structure: That’s … for you.

I am not quite sure, I do not speak a lot of English. I mostly read and listen (watching BBC and TV in general). I would say it is an informal expression and is “quite common”.

1 Like

Yes, it is not uncommon in informal speech. It implies a bit of frustration or resignation: that’s just how children are, and you cannot do anything about it.

Stated in more formal terms it might be, “That is an example for you of how children are.”

1 Like

Agreed.

Other examples:

Muhamaned Al bin Tallaal lived in the United States for 20 years, was a citizen, and then blew himself up with a dynamite vest. “I can’t believe it. He seemed so nice.” “Well, that’s Islamic terrorism for you.”

Kim Jon Un thinks he can hit Seattle with a nuclear missile. “He’s a liar. He’s just playing to the crowd. They are much weaker than you think. That’s a communist for you.”

Senator John Smith said he wouldn’t run for a third term, but then he broke his promise and said he was running again. “Well, that’s a politician for you.”

1 Like

“That’s … for you.”

Where you have the …, words can also stand on their own.

I once heard a little girl say “humans.” She could have said “That’s humans for you.” Instead, she cut right to the point.

In the sentence “children are like this.” It could be recognizably shortened to “children” as long as there is an accompanying vocalization indicating “that’s the way it is” or “that’s the way things are.”

Wow, I’m impressed. Thanks a lot! It really helpful.

Thanks a bunch. I like your explanation.