Luca method

@debbielim
I feel like I was put around B1. Like SanneT said, in combination with other resources, you surely could.

Iā€™d say Assimil followed by a couple dozen hours of speaking practice will get you to B2.

The lessons speed up greatly after week 2 of the course. For all the assimil courses that I own I have had a native speaker rerecord the first lessons at a natural speed.

@David

I guess it also depends on the exact language and the learnerā€™s linguistic background?

In my case, if I were to spend 6 months doing Assimil (or similar) for Spanish, Iā€™m pretty confident that Iā€™d be at B2-ish level. But Iā€™m a native speaker of English and I already know another Romance language (Italian) to a pretty decent level. If I were trying to get into Arabic or Japanese, Iā€™m certain it would be another matter entirely!

BTW
I think that learning a language which is quite closely related to one we already know brings its own unique set of challenges. If I wanted to get into Dutch or Afrikaans, itā€™d be - at one level - relatively easy for me due to similarity with German and English. Yet Iā€™d probably have to be super-motivated to do it. For example: looking at Deon Meyer texts Afrikaans is really slightly weird; as foreign languages go itā€™s pretty transparent, yet it can also feel strangely ā€œwrongā€ in comparison to the English and German which is more dominant in my brain. And there is, of course, a significant difference between passively understanding something and being able to produce it in an active wayā€¦

@Jay

I was directing my comment to the poster who said that heā€™s a ā€œfalse beginnerā€ in German, so I completely agree with you :slight_smile: Iā€™d bet that you can still get a pretty strong passive level this way in a language like Japanese, but I havenā€™t done it yet ;p

The way I calculated it in my head when I posted was like this:

100 lessons X 30 minutes each = 50 hours
+
At least two hours a day of review (listening to the lessons on loop while doing other things 100 X 2 = 200) = 250 hours
+
24 hours of speaking lessons = 274 hours

For fun letā€™s add in a month in country.

If the studentā€™s high school or college class was a year or two long, and if he actually did his homework, the combined number of hours would easily surpass those necessary for a B2 level.

Thanks everyone for the posts. I thought Assimilā€™s claims within their time frame were pretty impressive so I was a bit sceptical. But it seems they really are realistic, if Iā€™m a native speaker of English learning German, so Iā€™m pretty excited. Schauen wir malā€¦