List of Language Learning Techniques

Looks interesting. It´s relatively similar to SRS, isn´t it? Just with less reviews, more handwriting and without the software.

Here´s the explanation I read http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/review-goldlist-method-for-long-term-memory/

That’s an excellent article! Hadn’t seen that one before. Christopher Huff’s short, fun video is useful: GOLDLIST METHOD for Beginners | Christopher Huff - YouTube

GLM is along Ebbinghaus principles, but more about learning to the long-term memory. Victor Berrjod reached 36,525 lines (to be exact) of Cantonese in his head list last year, and swears by it :slight_smile:

David James has also modified his GL method for Kanji/Hanzi - I’m using this for Hoenig’s Hanzi 2,197 characters, as I’ve had a gut-full of being held back by my lack of characters. I use his batch method idea from his “Project Control Sheet for Heisig” (Kanji) chart for my Hoenig’s Chinese instead, simply adding a 9th batch for the extra characters. Time will tell how I go :slight_smile:

He also has an interesting “Chinese from scratch program”: Chinese from scratch - a 1260 hour work Programme optimising your result. - Huliganov.TV

Either way, unless it’s a ‘dead language’, it’s better to be somewhat familiar with the sounds of a language from oral exposure before starting GLM. eg. do a Michel Thomas or Pimsleur first.

In my view you should not concern yourself too much about these techniques of learning, other than perhaps making your students aware that they exist. Your goal is to be enthusiastic about the language you are teaching, and try to find ways to make the students enthusiastic. Since attitude and time are the keys to success, you have make them want to learn, and convince them that they can learn. If you achieve that, they will spend the time and learn.

Whether they prefer to spend this time on LingQ, on SMS techniques, reading the Bible etc.should be up to them. None of these techniques is as important as their enjoyment and commitment.

Personally I would refuse to do anything other than 1 above which would lead naturally to 6. The rest would only discourage me from spending the time with the language that is so important to success, as would tests, drills and lengthy grammar explanations. But this is all personal.

"In my view you should not concern yourself too much about these techniques of learning, other than perhaps making your students aware that they exist. "

Yeah, that´s basically what I had in my mind. I want help them find techniques that they enjoy.

"Whether they prefer to spend this time on LingQ, on SMS techniques, reading the Bible etc.should be up to them. None of these techniques is as important as their enjoyment and commitment. "

Exactly^^ Thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

Juuuuuuuuuuulz^^

I´ll take a look :slight_smile:

The LingQ’s member juli_ wrote about some other methods that seem different from those you listed above, Paul. She uses to draw pictures and comment them, also she uses to keep a diary in the target language.

Wait until the freeze thaw cycle turns the sidewalks to ice :slight_smile: Are you teaching in Halifax?

Yesterday, I made the mistake of checking out the faculty of Slavic Studies at a certain university in central Canada. The only difference from when I was there is that now they are using non-native speaking scholars of Russian literature rather than non-native speaking scholars specializing in the linguistic study of the Russian language to teach the beginning levels of Russian. Sigh.

I wish someone had offered more sugestions on method and far more native speaker input right from the start.

By the way, have you seen video of Krashen’s miniature german lesson?

For those who havenèt seen it, Krashen’s incomprehensible German lesson, followed by an example of comprehensible lesson

Can´t wait^^ Nah, I´m in The Valley.

Yeah, right?^^

That’s a nice area, you should have fun. I have a few reasons to visit but, unfortunately, it’s not the season for road trips.
Good luck and let us know how itès going, I’m curious :)

Over the past 7-8 years, using my spare time and LingQ, I have learned 4 Slavic languages well enough to read, and listen to, books, audio books, radio programs, and podcasts on history, literature and current events in the original language, and have done so massively. In the process I have learned about Russia, Czech Republic, Ukraine and Poland, to an extent that would not have been possible in a 4 year program at a Canadian university, in my view.

what about the Michel Thomas system? Assimil?

It would be too easy to have some list of Language Learning Techniques to know the foreign language.
The first and the main condition - to have a vivid motivation and a certain persistence in learning.
Our mind will be able to work out the specified ‘technique’ which would be the best for you.