LingQs of the Day Emails

We have just launched a new feature, a LingQs of the Day email, that contains a list of your LingQs to review that day. The LingQs are sent out based on a spaced repetition algorithm. You can read the terms you have saved and the Hint you have created and you can review this list with our flashcards. We think this is a great way to review your new vocabulary and stay on top of all the LingQs you are creating. Let us know how you like it.

this is really a great way - wow - I’m so often surprised about your ideas! Congratulation.
Only one question - it’s possible to reduce the number of words in this list?
For me personally it would be better to reduce a little :frowning:

again and for explanation:
In my flashcards were 41 words but now I think that can be a bug.
I send a screencast to you, Mark.

I think this is an excellent idea. This way if I’m too lazy, you give me a little push. I think it’s a big number of words. But if they are mostly Known Words, I think I can just review them easily. Thanks :wink:

I had 65 cards in my German pile and 50 in my Chinese (haven’t checked my Russian yet), most of which were at level 4. Of course we all know that it’s useful to review old words as well, but I do that once in a while by having a quick look at a random level 4 page, then mark those I don’t really remember anymore and batch-move them to level 3.

In my Day list aren’t no known words (because I have not so many how you)
But the high number can be a bug.

I’ll try to clarify how the emails work. 41 words is not too many and is not a bug. In these emails we will be sending all the LingQs that you created 1, 4 and 11 days ago that are Status 1-3 and all LingQs created 29 and 64 days ago that are Status 1-4. Status 4 (Known) LingQs older than 64 days will no longer be sent.

However, this is kind of an experimental period with these lists so we’ll see how it goes. We welcome all your feedback.

thanks for information Mark.
What I like in this Day email is, that we have not only one word cards but phrases too.
So I think how more LingQs I create how more words are in the list. Now I can decide what I have to do *ha ha

Gee, I got 100 in English and 32 in French!!! It is a lot of work… but I really liked the idea of having this based on spaced repetition system. I will try to use this new approach to the flashcards and see how I adapt to it. I guess this will constitute a great improvement to the vocabulary area.
And I agree with Pedro, this way it is more difficult to anyone to “forget” about his or her language studies… no more excuses… rssss…

I have been receiving my Russian and Portuguese words. I find that it is a good idea to take the time to review these words when on has the time to do it properly.

I have found it a good time to do two things.

1. “Upgrade” my LingQ cards. In other words I go to the LingQ and edit my phrase. I even look for examples to see if there is a better example that I can keep, and which I can edit. I do this partly because it means I will see a better example phrase next time, but even more because the time I invest in the word, editing the phrase and looking for examples, helps me to remember the word.

2. When I go to the LingQ card I see the alphabetical list in the background. I often check to see the related words that I have already saved that start with the same letters. Here again I am able to review the word, and review how it relates to similar words. All of this will help me to remember the word, I believe.

the Day list is really great and I would like work with, only the number… that is a K.O.-criterium for me.
Today I got 100 words and more than 80 are status 1
Can be for other’s it works better.

Thank you for this new feature. The first time I got 66 words in Swedish and 60 in French. At the moment I find it a bit hard to deal with so many at a time, but I can always come back to use the list a little later, at my own convenience. Today I got 11 Russian and 18 Swedish words, which was okay. I usually work with priority links (i.e. 25) and mostly I can flashcard all three languages, even if I have not enough time for other work.

I wonder what would be the ideal maximum number of LingQs to receive by email. 25, 50, 100.

Please tell us what you would like.

This is a great idea Steve, to cut down the number of words in the remainder emails. For me the best number will be 25, but I think that will be conveniently for everyone have to a possibility to chose themselves the right number. The limitation will bring to us the ability to get used to a daily revision, always with the same time purposed to do it. I am not regular in saving new words. One day I save 0, another day I save 200 items. Therefore, once I receive 20 words in my email, once I receive 200. The system should flatten it. Even if not every one of my saved words will be sent to me. In my opinion the biggest advantage of sending email like that is to help in building a daily habit of repetition of saved words.

I agree with loby - when I am diligent I will be punished with to much words.

In the flashcards the number of 25 is the bounday for me.

When we have a mix, how Mark wrote above (status), then they could be about 30 but when they are more I cannot work with the flashcards untill the end. Then I have no provit from this very good idea!

I agree with loby and Irene, if there are too much words, next time I’ll probably think I should save less words…

Anyway, I agree with Steve, it really helps because we can review the Hints after we have already studied them, forgot them and reviewed them a second time and even take this time to search for the terms on Google, for example, so as to get into contact with the phrase in its natural environment.

I’ve also finally tried the suggestions that come at the end of the dictionary entry on the Vocabulary section. The dict.cc is a fantastic dictionary.

I want to affirm Pedro with dict.cc

When we create LingQ’s with more than one word, babylon cannot help us but dict brings some words.
The next is that we have in dict a very good sound for pronunciation.

I am thankful that programmers gave us this possibility in the LingQ-vocabulary-box.

It looks like I’m in the minority but having just done 61 words today and 100 words yesterday, I’m quite happy to get this many words. As I go through these words, I see words that I have saved a long time ago and never looked at since. This way I will review many more of my words than I would otherwise. I don’t find it takes me that long to go through them using the flashcards. Quite a few of them I know and can just go through quickly and I end up relatively quickly with just the words I have trouble with.

Sure it takes a bit of time but, personally, I am reviewing more vocabulary now than I was before and I would not want to reduce the number of terms to 25.

Anybody on my side?

Mark, I would be on your side when the number of status 1 wouldn’t be so high.
But when I work with new items the most new words are unknown.
If the number of status 3 and 4 would be higher I think I could sooner accept the high number.

today I had 36 words and the most of them (34) were new. That’s ok but it is the limit for me!

In this way this offer is the absolute hammer and I like to use it. The solution for me will be to create not too much new LingQ’s.