LingQ to Anki


I want to export my LingQ’s to my ANKI account. When I hit the export button in LingQ is gives me this:

impredecible,“[[”“en”“, ““unpredictable””]]”,…el tiempo es más impredecible.
mes,“[[”“en”“, ““month””]]”,“…voy de viaje el mes de agosto, la última…”
aunque,“[[”“en”“, ““although””]]”,“…suele ser más barato, aunque a veces el tiempo…”
veces,“[[”“en”“, ““times””]]”,“…más barato, aunque a veces el tiempo es más…”
viaje,“[[”“en”“, ““trip””]]”,…Cuándo te vas de viaje?
agosto,“[[”“en”“, ““August””]]”,“…viaje el mes de agosto, la última semana, que…”
barato,“[[”“en”“, ““Cheap””]]”,“…que suele ser más barato, aunque a veces el…”
ser,“[[”“en”“, ““be””]]”,“…última semana, que suele ser más barato, aunque a…”
suele,“[[”“en”“, ““usually””]]”,“…la última semana, que suele ser más barato, aunque…”
última,“[[”“en”“, ““last””]]”,“…mes de agosto, la última semana, que suele ser…”

How do I get this format into ANKI??

I am on a MAC by the way…

Thank you for your time and efforts!



I had this problem years ago when I used Anki a lot. I don’t get why LingQ outputs this way. What I did was I opened these lists in Excel and formatted them a bit.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll try it out. I see you have over 50,000 words known in German. That is awesome. How long did it take you to get that much knowledge of the language?

I have not really been using LingQ in a while due to concentration on work, but I would say to get to 50,000 took a couple of years of pretty hard work. It also helps that German has loads of different forms for most words, which inflates the statistics quite a bit.

all you need to do is write a short script to parse through the text and remove/replace the bits you want to remove. super easy.

For only a small fraction of the population is writing a short script to do anything super difficult.

I’ve created a webpage to convert your site-exported LingQ’s to a tab-deliminated format that’s suitable for import into Anki. It was created in a hurry, so it’s kinda ghetto and might explode on you, but it seems to work with everything I’ve tried so far.

You can find the page here:

A screenshot of it in action can be found here:

Cheers, and lemmie know if it works.

EDIT: I also noticed you said you were on macOS. If your system opens your exported LingQs .CSV file in the Numbers application (which I think it does by default), and then copy-and-paste your exported data from within Numbers, into the converter, then the conversion might fail. So, try opening the .CSV file in TextEdit instead and copying from there.

I’d imagine that the reason it’s exported that way is because the exported file is made for being re-imported back into LingQ itself, and not other applications. And because LingQ can store multiple definitions for a word/sentence (and because it also stores what language the definition is written in too), it necessitates exporting each LingQ’s definitions in a structured format (JSON, in this case).

Maybe adding an option to export one’s LingQs in a straight-up tab-deliminated format – in addition to the format suitable for re-importing back into LingQ – might be a good idea.

In the meantime, for anyone that’s interested, I wrote a converter that can remove the JSON formatting around your exported LingQs’ definitions, so that you can import it into Anki. You can find it in a post I wrote if you scroll down a bit.