LingQ is case-insensitive and it is not a feature

I look at the list of words, and I see that they are all in small letters. In German, this is an important point - all nouns are capitalized.
Is it possible to see the words in the form in which I saved them?

4 Likes

However, they are saved correctly in the examples. They are capitalized.

3 Likes

I brought this up in beta. I agree it would be nicer. But maybe I’ve grown accustomed to this nice “crutch” that German has =)

1 Like

It’s not possible at the moment, Sergey. However that’s something we are aware of and do want to improve in the upcoming updates.

3 Likes

Could you then also fix the problems with hyphens that get ignored, please? In languages like French, correct use of hyphens matters.

As a temporary solution I made a known-words-exporting app that checks the word against an example fragment. But it would be nicer if LingQ team fixed it for all the words.

1 Like

As a German I see a need for capital letters.
But then I also understand the question of words that are no nouns but stand at the beginning of a sentence… They would appear with a capital letter in your vocab list. And while counting them… do you count the same word twice or just once, when you mark it at the beginning of a sentence and the same word in the middle of the sentence? I guess that there will be always complaints - one way or the other.

2 Likes

Thanks, we will look into that too.

1 Like

Just chiming in to say that even in French, this has been a pain point. With some of the recent current events, it includes learning what organizations are called in French (eg, the UN or United Nations versus l’ONU or Organisation des Nations Unies), but coming across “l’onu,” "otan"or “rn” kept tripping me up before I finally just started marking them as “known” even though I didn’t really.

Per Fer.weh’s points, I’m sure other people have thought through reasons why letting people edit the source/vocab word would not be a wise option, otherwise that would be an easy fix for the potential “capital letter at beginning of sentence but not in middle of sentence - same word or nah?” confusion. (But if capital letters were allowed, the question on whether or not to count it would probably need to rely on whether or not the language itself uses capital letters to change the meaning of words. I imagine the answer in most languages is no, even if “yes” in German?)