LingQ for people with learning difficulties

How many of us have difficulty with standard “classroom” learning?

I’m schizotypal and I have trouble in classes. I struggle to ignore “irrelevant” information, like clouds, students whispering in the back row or the pattern on the curtains. Because my brain is trying to process everything at once it won’t stay focussed on one task for long and I get tired more quickly than the “normal” students. It’s hard to stay awake in long or late classes, especially if I’m the teacher!

When I’m tired (usually 40 minutes into the lesson) I have memory problems, my handwriting goes wobbly, and words start to dance about on the page. I get stressed, all the more so because people assume I am bored and have tuned out when in fact I’m working frantically to stay with the class.

LingQ is a breakthrough for me because I can switch tasks or take a break whenever I get tired. The group sizes are comfortably small, and because the conversation is audio only, I can make notes to help my memory without looking strange. Otherwise I can get overtired and forget who I’m talking to. I have a lot of control over when classes are and how long they are, and how many there are in a day and a week, so I have no reason to get overtired. I love it!

I would really love to know if other LingQers have learning differences. How do people with dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD, and Aspergers get on with LingQ? Are there any improvements we could suggest to make it even more learning difference friendly?

This is a very interesting post Helen. I simply find classes boring and full of distractions. I also enjoy the pleasure of studying in anonymity, and having the freedom to do what I want when I want. I had not thought of it, but as you point out, there may be many students who simply cannot learn well in a class.

I am particularly interested in the subject of literacy. This area is full of experts, research and much hand wringing. If I had trouble reading I would not want to be in a classroom, nor even in a one on one situation with a well intended teacher who cannot help but appear condescending. I wold prefer to learn on my own. I believe that the combination of choosing content of interest, listening as well as reading, and LingQing can be of great use to problem readers in their own language. Perhaps as useful as all of the technical instruction on how to anticipate or “negotiate” meaning, or other reading strategies that form a big part of literacy programs. If people will start reading, however, slowly, and enjoy it, and keep reading, they have to improve. What do others think?

Helen, would you mind if I put this exchange on my blog in order to garner more opinions?

Good idea to put it on the blog. There may be material for some podcasts here.

I had aslo wondered about using LingQ as an adult literacy programme.

Erm…Perhaps I should stress right now (I don’t want to frighten my new students!) that “schizotypal” is quite different from “schizophenic”. I’m really not mad. I just have a really active imagination.