Hi Lingq staffs, recently I have been encountering some problems regarding loading courses and transporting import into Lingq apps. I have updated the apps in version 3.9.13. But somehow I can’t really load my courses and the contents that I have imported using laptop could not be found in the apps. Thank you.
Hi, I’m not a lingq staff…but I use both IOS and Android, on my ipad and on my phone…I’ve been using Android app pretty much everyday and it’s running perfectly, but I’ve already encountered this problem before and I just disconnected and connected again, or maybe you could restart your phone and give another try.
Thank you for your suggestion, I have tried it and it works, thank you.