Lessons Shared Accidentally?

I just found out that LingQ says that I shared two lessons. I did not know about that! (I upload lessons a lot but I always make sure they’re private for copyright reasons…) Or perhaps if I edited a public lesson, the changes were shared? How do I find out which lessons I (accidentally?) shared?
Thanks!

It would be quite odd for you to have shared a lesson by mistake, since sharing a lesson requires adding a level and tags, which you probably wouldn’t add if you were importing content just for yourself.

Where does LingQ say that you shared two lessons?

Apparently not only did I share 2 lessons today, but that was one less than yesterday! ???

If you add tags (and a level) to a lesson does it share with others accidentally?

These labels are wrong or poorly translated, AFAIK ‘Lessons Shared’ is actually the number of times other people have opened one of your shared lessons in the library and ‘Lessons Published’ means shared to the library. Similarly with the translations: ‘Translations Used’ means vocabulary meanings added and ‘Translations Shared’ means other people choosing definitions you have added.

You could set the the (time) scope to “all” at the top and see if the number of published lessons is not 0, which would indicate that you have indeed shared lessons to the library. If not, then you might have ‘liked’ one of your lessons. This causes them to show up in the trending shelf, no matter if shared or private. This way you can have other people take your lessons without having shared them. But maybe that got fixed, not sure.

2 Likes

That’s helpful info. I did un-heart a lesson this morning (must have hearted it by accident while re-arranging the lessons in one of my courses?) . I don’t have a way to see anything other than daily stats in the “statistics” section of the wall; in the graph view I can look at various stats but not “lessons shared.”

…still baffled… No intention to infringe on anyone’s copyrights, that’s kind of serious.

1 Like

Not sure which library we’re talking about, but I can’t find a shared lesson of yours in the Chinese traditional or Korean libraries. So it was probably just some people opening stuff from the trending shelf.
I probably expressed myself poorly, with ‘scope’ I meant this drop-down menu:

then you might have ‘liked’ one of your lessons. This causes them to show up in the trending shelf, no matter if shared or private. This way you can have other people take your lessons without having shared them. But maybe that got fixed, not sure.

it is actually a feature, so intended to work this way. The idea behind it, is that there is no reason to like your own private lesson other than to share it. When user tries to like his private lesson, he sees a warning: “By liking your private lesson this will share it with other users in the Trending shelf in the Library.” with two options: Continue/Cancel".

@LingQlearner Well, in this case, what would be the answer to the question at the beginning? If someone did that, their lessons will be shared publicly and they could be copyrighted. I suppose that would be only individual lessons inside a course. Can a user see that and be able to unlike it and unshare it? Because @WillowMeDown has this concern, I believe.

Warning modal is triggered on web after you click on like for your private lesson on Library page, Reader via lesson menu, Search Results Page, Playlist tab, etc., so you get notified that by those actions you entered a process of sharing lesson with others, but on this stage you are in charge what to do afterwards, to proceed by confirming it (then lesson will appear via time in Trending shelf) or cancel it (which will ignore your previous action and you will exit modal, so nothing happens).

Even if you decided to proceed, yes, you may unlike your lesson later on and via time it will be removed from search results, also you can check whether someone took your lesson from Trending shelf by going to Course Editor and checking “in use” column. If you see there “1” - lesson is taken only by you, if 1+, then other users have added it to Continue Studying. If user liked this lesson and you do not unsubscribed from LingQ Academy emails, you will receive “Lesson likes” email with username & title of the lesson, so another way how to be informed.

2 Likes

Very interesting!
For my case, it was a link to a private lesson that was shared on the forum with one other user who, we are guessing, clicked it about 5 times during the process of correcting the timestamps for me, thus generating “5 shared lessons.” We’ve deleted the link, so that’s the end of that.
But for others, it can be a cautionary tale, and thanks for the clear and thorough explanation of how to prevent, diagnose, and resolve this issue in the future.

3 Likes