Learning vocabulary from examples; a tip on how to do it

I sometimes think the examples function here is under-utilized. I use it a lot, when reviewing my Yellow LingQs.

You can even do it when you first create a new LingQ. To avoid the cursor moving you to the next blue unknown word, just click on the Edit Hint pencil, to keep the yellow LingQ box open and check out the examples, before moving on to the next blue word with the arrow key.

You can even drill the examples to get to the original paragraph.

In line with the text a day initiative, and to encourage people to look at their examples I have created a short lessons which just consists of examples, taken from one lesson in the English library.
I would be curious to hear reactions from people.

Here is how I described this course in the introduction.

This is an experiment. I am going to take some of the examples generated by LingQ, record them and put them up as lessons.This is a departure from our normal lessons which are meant to be interesting. However, it may be a useful supplement to mix in with the normal lessons. I hope this encourages people to look at their examples more. If this is useful for English, perhaps other members can do it for their own language, focusing on important vocabulary or usage patterns.

Very good idea. Sometimes I’ll put a word into Abbyy lingvo and do it that way but usually on this site I just review the sentence the word was originally in. It would be really good if there was more if it Steve.

I really think it is very helpful. This lesson show me the specific example of your method for learning language. I’ve thought that I want to know your concrete method which I watched on Youtube, your video “なぜ英語が難しいか?”.
Especially, I want to know about your method of how to use examples and how to “listen and read phrases over and over and we will get how to use it”
youtube のビデオにあった「慣れ」るとだんだんと単語の使い方がわかってくる、というところのsteveさんの具体的な方法を知りたかったのでとても興味深いです(^^)

Chamy,

Language learning is a mixture of many things. We need to cover the same ground many times from many different angles. Mostly I listen and read, and build up my vocabulary and familiarity with the language, and then I start to speak, more and more. However, reviewing the individual words and phrases is also important. Listening to these phrases can really help I think.

なによりも面白い内容を沢山詠んだり、聞いたり、しないといけない。しかし単語とフレーズを復習してもたいせつs。楽しく十分な時間をかけてやるしかない.

btotheb,

Note that there are many examples for a lot of the LingQ that you create. You should spend some time on them.

Hi, I believe it is a good idea too … I’ll be an insider, it’s very useful for me … Thanks Steve!

I often use the examples. And I like to look at the integrated dictionairies too. That is why I never use the QuickLingQ functionallity because it prevents learners from thinking about new words and spending time with new words. I always create my own hints. It makes me more aware of the new words :slight_smile: