Learning languages with limited content on Lingq

Greetings,

For those who are learning languages that lack a lot of content on Lingq, such as Swedish, Dutch, or Korean, I would like to ask how you would go about learning these languages. I find it rather difficult to learn a language on Lingq that does not have a lot of lessons or courses, as you have to rely on what is already available. Thus, it hinders my ability to expand my vocabulary and progress in the language.

@CannIK84 - Have you tried importing from news or other sites? Have you tried importing ebooks? Those are great sources of content once you are into the Intermediate and Advanced stages.

2 Likes

Yes, that is something that I have considered. However, given that there are very few beginner content for Korean, which is what I am learning at the moment, I find it difficult to make significant progress so that I can develop a solid foundation in the language and then move onto more difficult material.

It is a different ballgame for very different languages like Korean and Arabic. With Norwegian there is basically no content but I can go straight to importing the news and just learn from there with lingq at the start since the grammar and script is quite familiar to me.

With Korean it’s a whole different ballgame, Unfortunately, Japanese and Korean google translate can be rough and translations are often ambiguous. You need to rely on some outside sources until get the hang of the grammar and can dive into authentic content. Similar problems exist in Arabic which is why I stopped with it.

We need to get more content with a clear path of progression from beginner to intermediate for many of the languages here. With Russian and German, we have teachers who are regularly uploading content of all levels. We need to get more of these instructors involved somehow.

I don’t know if that means members pitching in to pay teachers to write and record beginner dialogue or just finding people to do it freelance. This should be a top priority for lingq IMO.

In the mean time. I highly recommend “Talk to me in Korean” and “Korean from zero” (free online textbooks with audio) if you haven’t already exhausted those resources.

2 Likes

Thank you for those resources! I haven’t tried Talk to me or Korean from zero yet but they seem to be very useful.

BTW is your native language a germanic language by any chance? You mentioned that the script and grammar in Norwegian is familiar to you. If not, I guess that’s because Norwegian and English both come from the same roots.

Ukrainian has a decent amount of content for advanced learners, but nothing for beginners so I just import a ton of song lyrics in lingq.

I also got glossika which is super useful but extremely boring, especially if you’re used to lingq. Songs are more fun.

1 Like

Find and import your own stuff.

It is not so easy to find easy texts for beginners.

True. Children’s books for ages 6-10 years is an option but you may not find audio and they may be boring. The problems that lack of audio cause vary greatly from language to language. For Russian it would be a complete disaster. I have no idea about Korean.

I don’t like books for children because they are written for native speakers who can understand the language. All such books were too complicated for me as a beginner.
Sure, it is possible to find simple stories. But it does not mean a beginner may take any children’s book.

3 Likes

I really want to like children’s books since it would greatly help in Ukrainian but they’re god awful.

With your experience with Russian grammar you shouldn’t need to read them anyway. Just go for the news or wikipedia.

also doing this. But it’s not as closely related as scandinavian or latin languages are.

So what’s the alternative? The Very Hungry Caterpillar and other nonsense?

Unknown words are unknown words, regardless of ‘target audience’ or ‘level’.

The whole point of LingQ is to get a base with a few very simple texts to get used to the flow and the pronunciation and then throw yourself into native content.

Books for 6-12 year olds are a fantastic way to do this.

For anyone else that thinks this is too much then your only real option are courses which you wouldn’t use here anyway.

Though they’re harder to find, there are decent Korean resources out there for beginners:

1. Living Language Complete Korean – available in “traditional” book and CD’s course and / or iOS App version. Not perfect, but a good foundation of vocab and grammar to form a base.

2. My Korean 1 & 2 – available on LingQ already.

3. Berkeley Korean Course 1 & 2 – available free online, importable to LingQ

Along with the ones mentioned before. After you do a combination of 2 of the above listed courses, I’d move onto Talk To Me in Korean, Iyagi series and you’ll be on your way.

2 Likes

@jaliscostate, do you mean Ukrainian is more different from Russian than any pair of Scandinavian or Latin? Sounds interesting.

Agreed, Children’s books are too boring for me.

1 Like

Ukrainian and Russian are definitely not as similar as Norwegian/Swedish/Danish. A lot of vocabulary is different and there are some grammatical differences too, but at least the case system should work the same way.

I don’t know Ukrainian so here’s a Serbian example of similarities:
“Очекујте нас”, наводи се у поруци Анонимуса, преноси Кликс
Expect us, says the anonymous message, reports Kliks.

Those that know Russian can recognize the “-jte” ending of the imperative (command) “expect”.

нас is the same as in Russian.

наводи се is a reflexive verb with се being the reflexive pronoun. I guess it’s a passive sense in the third person singular present tense meaning “is being said”.

у поруци = in the message. у is the same as the Russian preposition “в”, only with the locative case ending -и instead of a prepositional case. порука → поруци

Анонимуса = Genitive singular of Анонимус. Or it could be the genitive plural too actually. Lol :frowning:

преноси = third person singular present tense of преносити meaning “reports”.

My point being that if you already knew Russian or another Slavic language with an intact case system (so forget Bulgarian and Macedonian) and you learned the Serbian case system and verb tenses you wouldn’t have too much trouble understanding this sentence if you just looked up the words. This is why children’s books are (maybe) completely unnecessary for jaliscostate and myself.

Here’s a trick I recently discovered: In Firefox press ctrl+tab to switch tabs. This way you can easily switch between wiktionary (or whichever dictionary you’re using) and what you’re reading. Looking up words becomes so easy that it’s almost shameful.

For Korean, Talk to me in Korean is a good source for beginner and intermediate material. They have allowed us to put some in our library. For more you will have to buy it from them, convert if necessary using Calibre and import into LingQ.

have put a fair amount of transcribed advanced Korean podcasts into our library. The biggest problem with Korean, other than the lack of good intermediate material, is the fact that google translate is very unreliable, mostly useless, and even dictionaries often don’t provide relevant translations.

Ukrainian is somewhat between Polish and Russian in terms of vocabulary, certainly not as close as Scandinavian and Romance languages when it comes to vocabulary.

However, there is enough of an overlap that you can get onto authentic content quite quickly using LingQ, as long as you are somewhat tolerant of uncertainty. I would also get a starter book or download a grammar from the internet for the occasional review.

2 Likes

@ijoh

You’re right. How well do you know Serbian? Such a great language choice.

@ress

Any pair no. Romanian is the lost cousin of latin languages and icelandic is probably the same for scandinavians. It’d be great if ijoh could enlighten us on icelandic.

I only know French and Spanish and can read Portuguese, Catalunyan (not sure if that’s how you call it in English) and Italian without any problems. Can’t speak them nor do I understand everything in their spoken forms though.