Learning grammar

Hi again :slight_smile:

I was also wondering about the ways to learn grammar. I’m lost in all these endings for the verbs in Spanish :slight_smile: and i do not think i could get much better just by listening and reading Spanish content. I need some basic grammar rules for me to understand how on earth do these verbs change in different times, persons, etc :slight_smile:

Are there any techniques to learn such things fast and effective?

I usually just try to find some good resource, be it a grammar, or a textbook and study a bit… I get it on my head and with time, I think it will usually get more natural… But I don’t if this works well for everyone… Here we usually focus on listening and reading as naturally as we can. But I also enjoy studying the language…

I bought a Russian grammar book, a small one. I tried to read it. (It was in English). In the early stages all you can absorb is very general principles. Russian has cases, Spanish has different endings depending on person, tense etc. Looking at the rules and exceptions studying the tables, etc. is satisfying in the short term because it can provide some reference for what you are experiencing in the language, but it does not stick.

So, what I do is get an initial rough overview, which I can usually get just from listening and reading. Then refer back occasionally to the grammar book as a reference. The more you are exposed to the language, the more meaningful the explanations become.

As to the endings in Spanish, I recommend that you save the words with their different endings. Focus on them as individual words to learn with their own phrases. This gets back to our earlier discussion. You need to focus on them, hear them, read them, study them again as individual words, and eventually they will come out naturally when you need them.

Tr to avoid relying on grammar rules as some kind of filter that you hvae to pass all of your thoughts through before you can say anything. Try to develop good reflexes.

One reason we focus on input at LingQ is that you do not need to produce the grammar when you listen or read, you just need to understand. You can do this for a long time. months, without speaking, just letting the language enter your brain. When you finally feel reading to speak and write, it will be easier. You will have better vocabulary, better pronunciation, and a better sense for the language than if you start talking right away.

Yes, steve, i do absolutely agree with every word you wrote.

I guess i’ll quit worrying about grammar as my primary goal is to start reading Spanish fluently without any stops and then learn to understand what i hear. Writing and speaking will come some day if i need it :slight_smile:

I have already noticed a change in my attitude towards Spanish since i started learning it a few days ago. I used to do my best to figure out and remember only the main form of the word and, even more, as i did not understand well what i was reading, i tried not to learn even such phrases as “tal vez” (“perhaps”) as one, instead i was remembering every single word separately. I cannot say i regret that, though now, after i began to feel what is said by the text, i can focus more on common phrazes and idioms. Now it comes naturally, so i do learn “tal vez” instead of “tal” and “vez”.

And as i already said in the other thread, i’ll try saving every single word i have a tiny doubt about. However, i must say, it was good for me to start the learning process in such a sped-up manner, without any deep studies. It made me understand the language in a very short time, and though i would not be able to say much, if at all :-), nor i can understand spoken Spanish, it gave me a very good soil to grow further. I can now enjoy reading Spanish content with almost no strain which makes it much easier to study things deeper just because i do not need to worry about understanding the text anymore. It took off the feeling of studying a rocket science :slight_smile: