Le Podcast High Tech, Episode #47 - Ecouter le quarante-septième épisode

Just following this podcast at the moment, and I see that the transcript has used this term several times:

multi coeurs / multi cœurs

although it may sound the same, because of the context of the script, I’m quite sure they are referring to the 2 words “multi core” as in multi-core CPUs.

Thanks, Roy. I’ve fixed this.

I guess I’m going to do a somewhat stupid question, but I can’t stand going on without knowing this… heheheh
I would like to now what is this letter or symbol that looks like ‘o’ and ‘e’ joined together…
Thanks…

It is a letter that is sometimes used in French, just to confuse foreigners. It is pronounced like eu. Seriously, this spelling reflects the origin of the word from Greek or Latin. Oedipus Oedipe is another example.I have never worried about and never really notice.

Thanks, Steve.
Is it always optional, like in the case of coeurs?
Does it have a special name?

It is also pronounced like “é”, as in fœtus or œdème. It seems we call that « e dans l’o » see the following description on Wikipédia

Thanks Mart and you are right. Now that I think of it is most often pronounced “é”, and I think is often replaced by “é”.

Anyway, I always like to think that in any foreign language there are are always things I do not know and things I get wrong.

The pronounciation depends on the words. The pronounciation of the different words will be learnt after listening and getting used to them.
Regarding foetus and other words that’s write the sound is like é. Nevertheless oedeme is pronounced like eu dans l’usage courant. I never heard oedeme, for example, pronounced like édème. Maybe, in French Canadian it’s different and it is pronounce é? Is it? I’m just curious to know if this pronounciation is different.

Phoenix, Phoedre, foetus,

oeuvre, coeur, oeuf, oeuil, oedeme, oecumene,

I must admit I have never paid any attention to this even though I speak French quite naturally. I just know the words that I need to know.

The question makes me think about it. Before that, I have to say that I didn’t pay attention to that either. As I wrote, we’re used to the pronunciation of the words when we encountered them and learn them.

Hum, Dans l’usage courant… oedème, I don’t hear it that often and neither use it that much. But that’s what I had in memory. I just checked with my sister that works in a hospital, and yes she confirmed me that here in Quebec, we pronounce édème.

I know ‘usage courant’, it is not everyday that we heard the word, oedeme; but I heard it several time, and even doctors pronounce it like eudeme here. So, there is a difference :slight_smile: