Known words way off

So I just subscribed and I’m testing things out. My known words score at the top is over a thousand and all I’ve done is select a few linqs and marked a handful of words as known.

I have plenty of words in the vocab list but its not 1000. There isn’t a count here so its impossible to know exactly, but if I page through (200 at a time) I can see that I have about 500 or so “yellows” based on the number of pages I can go through. If set the filter to just known or learned words then I see just the handful that I’ve marked as known or learned.

So what is this known words statistic and why is it so large. Is this a bug? How do I edit the actual list of what words lingq thinks I know if they are not all in the vocabulary list?

I found the setting that turns off all the auto learning. These really should be off by default or settable on a per session basis. Still, I want to cleanup this mess but cant figure out how to do it via the vocab list.

1 Like

Have you maybe been paging through some lessons? If you flip a page, the software assumes you know all the words on a page you finished.

The idea is that you read each page, and only highlight the words you don’t know. The system will then keep these in an archive so you can test yourself on them as time goes by. You don’t have to mark words as known at all - the system will do that for you as you go from page to page.

Yeah, I’ve been browsing around like you’d expect a new user to do. I had the auto-add setting (the default) on so it was accumulating “known” words without me understanding what was happening.

In the vocabulary list I’d expect to see the 1000+ words it added as known. They aren’t all there. There are only 300 words there in total, basically things I’ve clicked on as I was browsing some content.

So the question is, where are the other 700+ known words?

1 Like

It won’t be a problem.

From now on, just start reading whatever content you like, and mark any words you don’t know. The software will immediately compensate for the words you accidentally let it mark as “known”. Soon you’ll be learning words at quite a fast pace.

What I do is this: I read a lesson, highlighting words I don’t know. Then, at the end of the day, I go to the vocabulary and test myself on all the words I learned that day. Then, as days go by, the vocabulary page will suggest words and phrases that are due for review, and I just practice those. This gives me a spaced repetition system that seems to work pretty well.

And even if you find you’ve supposedly learned a word until the software thinks you know it, but you find you don’t remember it, you just mark it as “unknown” again, and you can start over with that word.

And conversely, if you accidentally mark a word you know as “unknown”, when you start to practice it, since you know it, you’ll easily get through the practice sessions for it, and it will be a known word. Or you can just mark it as known manually.

But the software is kinda self-adjusting, so you needn’t worry if you make mistakes in this regard.

Thanks. At the end of the day its just a number, I suppose, and it really doesn’t matter. The vocab list seems to be accurately tracking the words I’ve highlighted for review.

1 Like

Yeah. Just put those extra words the software thinks you “know” out of your mind. The system is self-correcting, so all you need to focus on is reading and marking words you don’t know. The software does all the rest.

One thing to point out is this: you can switch the “paging moves to known” setting off, but you should then avoid “finishing” the lesson (clicking the checkmark at the end) – once you finish the lesson LingQ assumes you know those words you left unmarked, after all.

(It’s a matter of some controversy whether this is a reasonable assumption or not - just a heads-up :slight_smile: As long as you don’t click finish, the words should remain blue/unknown.)

That said, I’ve found the default mode by far more practical way of using LingQ. That way, I accumulate known words that won’t get highlighted in blue the next time I see them (and they’ll go into the percentage of known words displayed before I open a lesson!), and words I’ve clicked on will be highlighted in yellow until such time as I feel I know them. The crucial point is not to feel under an obligation to memorize all your yellow words and be stingy with saved definitions - saving a definition is more like tagging the word for future reference.

1 Like

That’s likely because if you’ve never made a LingQ out of a word (aka made the word "yellow), it doesn’t show up in your vocab list even if you mark it as “known” at some point. Basically, if you make a blue word known without ever assigning it a definition and making it yellow, it doesn’t get added to your vocabulary page. I imagine that’s because it’s assumed that if you know the word as soon as you see it, it isn’t necessary to have it in your vocab list to study. I also wish it didn’t work this way, but that’s how it is.

https://www.lingq.com/api/languages/ko/known-words/?page=1&page_size=100&cardsTranslitFormat=list

Change “ko” to whatever your language abbreviation is.

Also I’m just guessing here, but… depending on size of your vocabulary you might want a number higher than 100 for page size.

Oh, wow! Nice work finding that!

Cool, huh? Don’t thank me, though. I learned about it from @roosterburton . No idea how he found it.

1 Like