Kindle vs Nook

Nook is an e-ink reader. I didn’t know it since today.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp

You can choose among 2 million books. It seems quite interesting. Does anyone have experience with it? Do you think is better than Kindle?

We bought a Nook for my mother several months ago. We chose that instead of Kindle because it has a touch screen.

I have a Kindle, I don’t know about Nook.
I’ve seen them though touched them. I’d have to read with one to know. Certainly sounds like more books with the nook.

and I find kindle to be very English oriented, with very little in other languages available.

I bought a Sony reader in May, because it was the only one with in-built dictionaries for some languages (not enough of them, sadly…) and because it could read .epub, which is the standard format in Europe.
It is touch-screen and the only disadvantage I can name is the lack of internet connection (but it isn’t a big issue).

Well, I think the more competition, the better for the customers. So please companies, compete among you :slight_smile:

I agree with Mike. As far as language learners are concerned, the Sony eReader seems well ahead of Kindle et al… Not only can you look up foreign words just by tapping on them on the touch-screen, but you can also save them in a list for later review.

The built-in dictionaries are pretty comprehensive too: there are big university level dictionaries to go back and forth between English and German/Spanish/French/Italian. The Dutch-English one is, I believe, slightly smaller but still pretty good.

It’s true that the Sony eReader has no direct internet connection (you have to go in via a PC) but so what?

I don’t exactly want to cruise internet sites while I’m immersed in reading!

Looks cool…

Does it support PDF’ed documents, like scanned textbooks or virtually printed web pages, properly?
Does it support multiple languages, like Russian and Japanese?
Which dictionaries and text-to-speech languages are available?

The website is more interested in telling you the games you can play on it than what formats it will support.

Yes, in addition to ePub, the eReader also fully supports PDF documents - i.e. you don’t have to convert them first, you can just load 'em straight in. (It also supports Microsoft Word docs!)

There is no Russian or Japanese dictionary. It may be possible to buy this kind of thing as an extra ‘add on’ - but frankly I don’t know anything about that.

The eReader doesn’t have an artificial text-to-speech ‘voice’. However you can load in mp3 files, so if you have a ‘real’ audio book, I guess it’d be possible to listen and read that way.

(Boy, I reckon Sony should be paying me for this! :-0)

The Sony reader doesn’t display non-Latin alphabets and some Latin letters with diacrolitics in epub files, but pdf files in Cyrillic are displayed correctly.

I love my Kindle. It’s really an amazing device. I enjoy totally free 3G Internet access in any part of the world, long battery life, neat design, my brand Amazon leather case with light bulb for night reading, possibilities to buy easily books/newspapers’ subscriptions/audiobooks and surely, I enjoy reading on it. I use free Calibre software and have no problems with converting any text-file to Amazon .mobi format at all (ok, some very technical PDF documents in A4 format aren’t converting very well, but I’m ready to accept it). No problems with italian/portuguese/russian texts were noticed. It’s a miracle, one of the best buys I ever made.

Well, I have a Pocketbook, which has a black and white 6" touch screen, it has text-to speech in every language I learn (inc Japanese and Russian), plus all dictionary combinations I might use, displays documents in formats EPUB, PDF, Word doc, extended text (including Japanese and Russian) FB2 and .zip, and supports PDF reflow.

It plays mp3s as well.

The interface is a bit slow and clunky, which is what puts me off buying one for my daughter. I expect she’d want colour and games :wink: