Japanese | How do I start? | 90 Days Challenge

Hello everyone,

I know there have been some discussions already about how to study Japanese at LingQ, but I still don’t know how to start.
I know Hiragana, and I almost know Katana, but my biggest problem is that I can’t read most of the texts because I don’t know all of the Kanji in there, and I certainly don’t understand spoken Japanese without transcript. So I decided to start to learn some Kanji, but the ‘easy’ Kanji, like the radicals, aren’t all the Kanji used in easy dialogues.
Where do I begin? Do I learn some Kanji before I start listening and reading? And which courses should I follow(on LingQ)? Or should I use just Hiragana and Katakana.

Thank you!
Floor Eijkelboom.

Hi :slight_smile:

I would start off by learning kanji as you come across it in the text. That way you will be able to associate the kanji with the new vocab- this makes remembering kanji so much easier in my opinion. As for texts, just start off very basic. Maybe at first you will need to lingq heaps of words but you will slowly remember them as you go.

no matter what you do, do what you believe works best for you!

I’m doing that. One problem I have though on lingq is that when making lingqs, there are some grammar situations that I fear making lingqs of because I don’t know the grammar behind it.

Kanji study & reading. It takes time to achieve a decent reading speed in Japanese, so if you plan on learning through reading, invest all you time in that, because otherwise in 6 months, it’ll still take you an hour to read a single page, and you don’t want that if you want to accumulate words. In my opinion listening can come later. Let alone speaking.