"Japanese English"

Can you understand the meanings of the following “Japanese English” words? They are from a booklet tilted “ニホン英語は世界で通じる” by Professor Mineo Suenobu.

1. Sunday Christian
  2. jet fruit
  3. paper driver
  4. sky parking
  5. kitchen drinker

http://bit.ly/bxKprP

No, unfortunately, I can only guess wildly! It’s quite fun, though. Please provide us with a ‘translation’.

I’ve only heard paper driver and kitchen drinker. I think I can guess Sunday Christian, but not sure about the others.

1. spurious(?) Christian
  2. fruit transported by air
  3. a person who has a license but never drive a car
  4. a high-rise parking lot
  5. an alcoholic housewife

I wasn’t far off with my imagination, then. A Sunday Christian is like a Sunday driver. The car/belief only comes out on a Sunday. My family has had a paper driver and a kitchen drinker. (Not me!). I like jet fruit and sky parking…

"a person who . . . never drive[sic] a car "
The above is an example of Japanese English. :wink:

How nice it would be if all languages were to simplify their verbs like that!

I must add that these explanations in English are not by Professor Suenobu but by Tora-san.

Other famous(?) so-called Japanese English words include “bed towns,” “gasoline stand,” “skinship,” and so on. Refer to 和製英語 - Wikipedia

It helps to put the website to English! I first had the greatest of difficulty trying to read it …

It’s fascinating to see how we make use of other languages.

In the Japanese language “Hotchkiss,” which is spelt “ホッチキス,” means “stapler” in English. You can see one or two “Hotchkisses” on every desk in every office in Japan. http://www.max-ltd.co.jp/

Is ‘hotch’ paper?

This is another Hotchkiss. Hotchkiss M1909 Benét–Mercié machine gun - Wikipedia

The Strange Tale of the Hotchkiss Jim Breen's Pages Have Moved

And then there are the abbreviations of English words:
konbini
biru
terebi
eakon
pasokon
meado
remikon
rimokon
mobige
aisuko

えぇ~、分からないの?英語なのに・・・

I cannot understand the following three words: remikon, mobige, and aisuko.

Ready Mixed Concrete, Mobile Game, Iced Coffee

I knew there was a word “モバゲー” recently when I was talking with young people, but I did not know "モビゲ. Thank you for your information. :slight_smile:

I sometimes wonder if “name” comes from a Japanese word “名前(namae)”.