It's never too late to learn Mandarin tones (My experience)

Like many learners, I neglected focussing on tones for years thinking they were too hard to deal with. The results were worse than I imagined and often made it difficult for native speakers to understand what I was saying. In my latest blog I record my progress over the past six months and lay out my roadmap for acquiring good tones: It’s Never Too Late to Learn Chinese Tones. Here’s How – I'm Learning Mandarin

Let me know your thoughts. Do you find tones hard? What techniques have you used to improve?

3 Likes

Nice progress. It’s definitely true that you can improve your tones at any point in your learning journey. My tones used to suck but have gotten much better. When I catch up on my anki backlog and get it to under 15 minutes a day I’ll try some tone practice in pleco.

1 Like

I don’t know how I ended up on his channel, I think it might have been through one of Steve’s videos, but I was very impressed by the approach to tones by Stuart Jay Raj: Mastering Tones in Thai Chinese and other Tonal Languages by Polyglot Stuart Jay Raj - YouTube

Without knowing that much about Chinese, I was convinced after watching some of his video’s that I would start there if I were to start learning chinese. He makes it seem very natural.

Not sure if he is known in the Chinese language learning community, but might be of help to someone (or the exact opposite :slight_smile: . happy to hear what you think)

His ideas are interesting but I haven’t personally found them helpful. Stuart seems to take issue with the fact that tones are taught by focussing on pitch. He prefers to teach tones according to the different throat positions required to produce them. Perhaps his system would suit people who struggle to pay attention to pitch and imitate what they hear. I haven’t experienced major difficulties with hearing and imitating tones that so for me his explanations add unnecessary complication to the process.

1 Like

interesting, thanks!