It's been awhile since I chewed someone's ass off, and your last post gave me a perfect opportunity

Hi,
What does the mean of the phrase “someone’s ass off”? Is it impolite?
It’s been awhile since I chewed someone’s ass off, and your last post gave me a perfect opportunity.

@Acooperator "What does the mean of the phrase “someone’s ass off”? Is it impolite? "

(one’s) ass off
used with a verb to indicate that verb is performed with vigor.

I’ve got a midterm tomorrow. I’m gonna have to study my ass off between now and then.

You really ran your ass off in the marathon.

“Is it impolite?”
kind of…

Content edited

どうもありがとう Imy

chew (someone’s) ass = reprimand (someone) severely.

btw, go and edit that “Category:Tonal languages” page… don’t make me chew your ass off! (just practising that idiom, you know xP)

Content edited

I am quite surprised what a language どうもありがとう is.
How did you write it?

Content edited

@Acooperator

1. japanese (どうもありがとう = dōmo arigatō)
  2. copy&paste!!! xD

ბოდიში :´(
(opss… -georgian. ბოდიში = sowwwwry )

Yes, in this context it’s extremely rude and it’s also condescending. Please don’t use it unless you are sure that you really want to offend someone.

An alternative might be: “Bite one’s head off.”
Example: “The boss bit my head off for arriving 10 minutes late.”

The original term would be very uncouth in Australian English.

‘The boss bit my head off’ would be much more acceptable, at least in the circles I move in.

There must be many more examples of similar differences in colloquial language in the many countries where English is used. Some are probably quite amusing. I would be very interested if others were to come up with some.

I would say chew someone’s ass out (American English). I’ve never heard chewed someone’s ass off. I told someone off also means the same thing to me. Yes, it’s impolite.